Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Do you buy or make your own cheese cake?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you make your own cheese cake or buy it?
I make it  
 69%  [ 142 ]
Buy it  
 14%  [ 29 ]
I make it because it's too expensive  
 7%  [ 16 ]
Don't eat cheese cake  
 8%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 205

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:41 am
chouli wrote:
I always bake myself. Really easy and you can decorate with chocolate or fruits to make it look special.
This year I would like to make in advance, cause of all the shabbos/yontif stress. Can I freeze it? Ever done that?

Cheesecake freezes really well. Just don't decorate until,ready to serve.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:13 pm
Viennese Table is a business that sells cheesecakes (from her home). They are awesome.

I've gotten cheesecakes from Classique Cheescakes (also a home based company in Lakewood that ships) and they were just divine!!!

You can't go wrong with either option, and they will deliver for you if you order in advance.

Maya

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:58 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
This year I baked but sometimes I buy. Costco cheesecake is not expensive at all and delicious.

$12.99!! for a big one. I once paid $45 for a similar sized cheesecake.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 9:37 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
DH makes it!

Same here

Bitachon101

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:22 pm
I never made cheesecake but with my record in the kitchen even the no flop things can flop... Lol.
I do have some relatives that make some yummy cheesecake that I've enjoyed.
Though the beat cheesecake I have ever tasted came from classique cheese creations, mentioned above, particularly caramel topped. Talk abt melting in mouth! I taxed it and have been dreaming abt it every night thinking maybe we should splurge for shavuos!!!

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:25 pm
Dh made a Keto-friendly cheesecake that's out of this world! (That's right, I snuck a piece... or two.)

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:39 pm
morah wrote:
I make it. As others said, its not that difficult. What scares people is getting the texture right. And that doesn't take that much effort or patchke-ing. Bake in a water bath at a low temp to ensure even baking and let set in the fridge. Works every time.

What do you mean by baking it in a water bath? I'm new at baking and I didn't see any recipie mentioning water bath.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:50 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I will be in Lakewood and would like to bring my hosts a cheesecake gift (was thinking of bringing from Brooklyn) -- is Viennese Table a restaurant, bakery or what? Where is it located?

Rivky Eisenberg owns the Viennese Table. I believe you need to order in advance and they deliver. Yummy dairy pastries and cheesecakes.
(732) 364-8969

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 1:29 pm
Half the fun is making it!!! My mother in law sends me cheese cake - and I still make my own, because I enjoy it so much!

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 2:15 pm
And be sure to serve a dairy supper the night you are cheese-cake baking. It's a shame to be fleishig.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 3:03 pm
We skip cheesecake altogether, as no one in the family likes it and guests are sick of it because everyone else is serving it. We very much prefer savoury cheese items. Having said that, I make tiramisu and knaffe pie instead.

Vanilla

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:12 pm
I've been making my own cheesecake for decades -absolutely fabulous recipe- but this year,due to lack of time and that the K.R.M. cheesecakes come out much cheaper, I've purchased them (a lot).

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
What do you mean by baking it in a water bath? I'm new at baking and I didn't see any recipie mentioning water bath.

Place your springform pan containing your cheesecake batter onto a large sheet of heavy duty foil. Pull the foil up so that it filly surrounds the pan and can handle water around it. Then place the foil surrounded springform pan into a large roasting pan. Pour hot water into the roasting pan to 2/3rds up the sides of the cheesecake pan.
Bake as directed.
Here are some to help you understand. It's simple.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/r.....cake/

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 20 2015, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Place your springform pan containing your cheesecake batter onto a large sheet of heavy duty foil. Pull the foil up so that it filly surrounds the pan and can handle water around it. Then place the foil surrounded springform pan into a large roasting pan. Pour hot water into the roasting pan to 2/3rds up the sides of the cheesecake pan.
Bake as directed.

Just adding that some people find it easier to fill the roasting pan with hot water first and then place the cake around it.

But cooking in the "water bath" makes the texture more luscious and prevents the cracking which often occurs in cheesecakes. It provides a more even temperature since the water is insulating the cake and it also helps "steam" the cheesecake.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics