Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
ROACHES Please help or advise asap!!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:49 am
shock
we have seen sightings of small roaches on/ off over past 12 months mainly after 12 am. I bought the baits, RAID, and combat gel and when I use these products dont see them for a while. until they make another showing a few months later. its like once you see the,, you cant stop seeing them. they are always up against my kitchen sink where there would be a backsplash and behind my stove. we live in an apartment building. I would not say I am OCD neat but def not grossly sloppy- I try never to leave dirty dishes overnight and do a quick wipedown every night. lately my cleaning lady has been cancelling and I am in early pregnancy so the kitchen is not in tip top shape. Last night my husband saw 4!!!! darting across kitchen so we called the buildings hired exterminator. he just spritzed under sink and told me to get rid of all the cleaning supplies/cardboard boxes we store there as he sees dead bodies. omg the second after he left, they all started crawling out!!!!! in broad daylight!!! I saw at least ten and sprayed them all to death! I am horrified and so nauseous and terrified!!!! plus I am off from work today!!!! please tell me is this normal that they started coming out after he left or did he disrupt their nest? PLEASE ADVISE I am really grossed out and do not want to go near my kitchen

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:12 am
Diatomaceous earth. This stuff is magic. I used it for ants but it should work for roaches too. It's a white powder, not poisonous for humans. The roaches don't eat it, they walk through it and it destroys their exoskeleton within an hour or two.

You just sprinkle a bit wherever you see roaches, like under the sink. It makes a big dust cloud while you use it but once it settles it just sits there. You can also spray it under baseboards using a cheap plastic pump that they sell especially for this.

http://www.amazon.com/Diatomac.....5H2PY
(There are probably smaller size bags for cheaper.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....GXQK5

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:04 pm
thanks will def. try that. so far I am a prisoner in my own home and theres a few carcasses in my kitchen its really gross!!!! is it normal for them to crawl away after being sprayed??? I have never seen so many at once!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:22 pm
Remember that DE is a contact insecticide and will not impact breeding or other roaches in the nests. Roaches are very smart and commuters, if they don't like your environment the'll spend some time with the downstairs neighbors. When the neighbors irritate them they'll come back to your place. Talk to your exterminator about baits that can be taken back to the nest. See if they use nontoxic substances like boric acid. Good luck.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:32 pm
Boric acid. It destroys their eggs too, and you'll see dead ones for a while, but gets rid of them and keeps them out.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:59 pm
what can I do with boric acid? is it a powder? can I put it outside just like you pour baby powder? can I use it with a crawling baby?

Lady Bug

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:42 pm
I wouldn't use it with a crawling baby in open spaces. I put it behind the oven, back of cabinets, behind the counters etc. If I have a flare up in one room, I'll put a row across the doorway overnight so that there is no way for them pass other than through the boric acid. And that way I'm sure they'll take it back to the nest for the others. Then I clean it in the morning before the kids come out. It doesn't smell and isn't toxic in that sense, but you don't want them eating it.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:00 pm
does it work outside?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics