Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Baltimore/Silver Spring Hotel?

ayintova

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:12 am
Planning to go to Washington, DC this summer with my family. Will have car but would like to leave it in at hotel when we go to DC. I have planned the activities but need advice about hotel and restaurants. Is it better to stay in Silver Spring or Baltimore? Would like to be close to shul, within the eruv, near public transport to get to DC. Can anyone recommend a hotel and a place to buy prepared Shabbos food? TIA!

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:22 am
Baltimore to Washington DC is a big hassle on public transportation. If your goal is to tour DC, then I would find a hotel that's convenient for that for weekdays, and make alternative arrangements for shabbos. You can look on Groupon for a good deal on a hotel in DC or its suburbs convenient to public transportation.

ayintova

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:39 am
Thanks ruchelbuckle. Will probably stay in DC during the week. We would still like to stay in Maryland over Shabbos. Can anyone recommend a hotel? I have never been so I'm completely unfamiliar.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:26 pm
Below is a link that has the local silver spring shuls.

http://www.jewishsilverspring......s.htm
There are a few areas to silver spring , kemp mill, woodside and white oak. The closest shul to a hotel would be the woodside shul. Click on their link and it gives you a listing of nearby hotels etc.

In the area of kemp mill there is a kosher pizza store (ben Yehuda) a dairy rest./bakery (kosher pastry oven) and an all kosher candy store called The Candy Man (the freshets candy- yum!!). The local vaad is called capitol k.
There is also an area called Rockville that has a kosher supermarket called called Moti's market where you can get take out etc. and any other food you may want bakery etc. as well in that area Blue star(meat) and sienna's (dairy/ pizza/ Mexican) Goldberg's bagels - there are two one in woodside and one in Rockville and a Chinese place called the royal dragon that has a Shabbos menu as well .
There is a place in Washington dc called the char bar &eli's market(meat). There are also one or two shuls in DC.
I may have missed one or two places, but these are the ones I genrally patronize off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:31 pm
To add to what the previous amother said, the last I checked only Woodside is in the same eruv as DC- Kemp Mill and White Oak are in a separate eruv. (Unless this has changed since I left about 5 years ago.)

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:53 pm
That is correct. white oak and kemp mill are part of one eruv and woodside is part of another.

ayintova

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:44 pm
Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics