Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Where to start?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 1:11 pm
I am thinking about homeschooling dd. I would like to keep her home for the summer to see how it goes. She is very insistent that she does not want to go to camp and I agree that daycamp is not a great environment for her. The problem is, all my other children will be in camp/school and I don't want her to be isolated.

How do I find other children for her to play with regularly both during the summer and during the school year? I am so scared that if she is not in school she will have no friends. I don't think that she is doing that well in school, but I don't want her to be all alone all of the time.

Dd is 6 and we live in the NY area.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:58 pm
I keep my kids home for the summer. there are a bunch of families who do. start a thread stating what area you're in, and ask who in your area is doing "mommy day camp." arrange trips or activities with other kids in your area.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:36 am
Are there art/ballet/gymnastics... classes in your area? Sign her up for something she's interested in once a week, hang around a little to meet the moms and invite someone over for a playdate. Any parks in your area? Take your dd around the same day/time each week and see if there are any regulars you can get to know with daughters around the same age. Invite neighbors and cousins over to play. Friends don't need to be exactly the same age to be a good fit. You can also keep up with her friends from school, no need to drop a nice friendship just because your dd won't be in school anymore. And of course try and connect with other homeschoolers in your area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling