Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Idiot-proof challah

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:52 pm
I would like to start making challah, but it never comes out right. I need tried-and-true recipes and step-by-step how to make sure it comes out nice and yummy. We prefer on the doughier side. Also, if I make enough to take challah, that's way more than I need in a week. Is it better to bake everything at once and freeze the already-baked challahs for later? Or is it better to freeze the leftover dough and then bake? Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 6:02 pm
This is delicious
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....r=asc
Better to freeze already baked challah loaves.

samantha87

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
I would like to start making challah, but it never comes out right. I need tried-and-true recipes and step-by-step how to make sure it comes out nice and yummy. We prefer on the doughier side. Also, if I make enough to take challah, that's way more than I need in a week. Is it better to bake everything at once and freeze the already-baked challahs for later? Or is it better to freeze the leftover dough and then bake? Thanks.

I'll take the easy part: better to bake and then freeze, ideally in airtight bags or wrapping. Freezing dough could work, but will not taste as fresh. Also, defrosting a ready made challah is much easier than defrosting dough and then baking it.

The hardest part of learning to bake challah, for me at least, was realizing that when it didn't rise at first the reason was that the yeast was old and "dead." The supermarket packets are the worst. Buy a jar or bag of yeast, and keep it in the freezer, for better results.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 6:05 pm
From Richmond, VA school cookbook, called Manna from heaven
You will need a very large mixing bowl, larger than a regular size for making cakes or salads.

No Need to Knead Challah

6 packets quick rise yeast
2 1/2 cups sugar + 2 T
4 Cups warm water
5 pounds plus 3 cups flour - I use Glicks high gluten flour, it makes a very big difference from when I tried it with regular flour
2 T salt
8 extra large eggs
1 1/2 cups oil

Dissolve yeast plus 2 T sugar in 2 cups warm water. Set aside. In the largest bowl, mix flour and salt, make a well in the center. In another bowl mix rest of sugar, eggs, oil.

Add yeast mixture and 2 cups warm water to sugar/egg mixture. slowly pour that whole mixture into the well in the flour and mix. This part takes time, it has to all be mixed together. cover with damp cloth and leave in fridge overnight, or on counter for 2 - 3 hours, until doubled.

I make four challah's and then freeze the rest for another week. When in pans cover again and let rise for another two hours. if you want glaze with beaten egg. I bake it for 31 minutes at 350, sometimes 32 minutes. It's trial and error.
This recipe is very good and easy, but of course time consuming.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 6:07 pm
I'm the one who just posted the recipe. I'm reading the other responses and just want to say again, I always freeze the dough and Bli Ayin Hara, it comes out good. Nobody knows that it was frozen dough. As for the yeast, I usually let it sit for 10 - 12 minutes until it looks light brown foamy.

workaholicmama

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:14 pm
My rav paskened that if you freeze raw dough you cannot separate challa with a brocha. He told me in order to be able to make a brocha I have to bake the same day at least the required amount.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:12 am
ra_mom wrote:
This is delicious
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....r=asc
Better to freeze already baked challah loaves.

I tried this recipe the other day since it got such good reviews. It did not rise. I was debating if I should bake it but in the end I just tossed it. Sad I've made challa a thousand times before and this has never happened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen