Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Flowers, Flowers, Flowers...HELP!

Chaya613

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:58 pm
I see there are so many options for flowers (almost as many as cheesecakes!)
Does anyone buy from any specific store? Do you decorate your whole house or just one nice Bouquet?
I saw a beautiful ad that decorated the whole house (I think it was hostess), I would love to do that....
How much do you spend?
Thanks

rachelle613

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:20 pm
And I saw that ad and thought, 'WHO decorates their house like that?!' shock

I guess it's all just a matter of opinion!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:58 pm
Artificial ones?

Too late to order from Light In The Box for this year however. But there are stores.

These are six-foot long garlands. The price is for a package of 8 of these garlands.

http://www.silkflowersfactory......rland

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Tue, May 19 2015, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 3:21 pm
Chaya613 wrote:
I see there are so many options for flowers (almost as many as cheesecakes!)
Does anyone buy from any specific store? Do you decorate your whole house or just one nice Bouquet?
I saw a beautiful ad that decorated the whole house (I think it was hostess), I would love to do that....
How much do you spend?
Thanks

We have a great florist here in Chicago. Will their number help?

Chaya613

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:52 am
What was most amazing to me about Hostess ad was the real flowers from the chandelier, not fake ones! Has anyone ever done this?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 1:56 pm
Chaya613 wrote:
What was most amazing to me about Hostess ad was the real flowers from the chandelier, not fake ones! Has anyone ever done this?

Adding real flowers to chandeliers is an olddddddddddddddd thing to spice up the look of a ballroom or the like. I don't know how safe that is with the chandelier turned on over a 3 day yomtov though.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 6:32 pm
Agree. Leave the chandelier alone the way it is.

zaq

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:09 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Adding real flowers to chandeliers is an olddddddddddddddd thing to spice up the look of a ballroom or the like. I don't know how safe that is with the chandelier turned on over a 3 day yomtov though.

I'll tell you exactly how safe it is: Not at all, unless the chandelier is there solely for decoration and is not powered on. Can't you just see the headlines ch"v: Brooklyn Building Burns; Bloom-Bedecked Bulbs to Blame.
or Flatbush Flat in Flames; Fault Flower-strewn Fixture.

good times

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:37 pm
we buy fake flowers at the dollar store. real flowers for the table

rachelbg

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:46 pm
We have a real bouquet on the table, and a very small bouquet or two on the breakfront as well. We enjoy choosing the flowers for our bouquets from the flower shop on our own to make the bunches feel more personal and special. Otherwise we decorate with the kids' flower projects from school, and a slew of Har Sinais.

I would assume the Hostess arrangements that they show are wildly expensive, and may not be so practical, depending on the crowd in your home.

chanzy65

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:47 pm
The topic of flowers is really easy for me. I'm allergic to all flowers. No flowers for Shavous or any other time. Whoever I go to can't have flowers either (or perfume).

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:20 am
chanzy65 wrote:
The topic of flowers is really easy for me. I'm allergic to all flowers. No flowers for Shavous or any other time. Whoever I go to can't have flowers either (or perfume).

Are you allergic to all flowers or just some? I'm also allergic to some fragrances that are in things like detergent, soaps, perfumes, but my allergist said that doctors are not exactly sure of the specifics behind fragrance sensitivities and allergies. Are you only allergic/sensitive when you smell them or has constant exposure caused you to have allergic symptoms even when they are out of "smell?" Does claritin work for you? What symptoms do you get? Feel free to not answer if you do not want to.

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:23 am
Today and tomorrow we will be making lots of pictures of flowers, making paper flowers, cutting and coloring, all for cheap and super fun and pretty, too.

As far as real flowers, we're allergic. Recently my daughter received a lovely bouquet of flowers from her boyfriend who hand picked wild flowers, translate that to 'weeds!', though they were pretty and earthy, but one look and I wanted to quickly toss them out the door before we all had to go to bed with hay fever symptoms. lol

Enjoy your beautiful fresh cut flowers though, OP! Smile

chanzy65

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 1:04 am
Regarding the question about what types of flower allergies I have, I certainly don't mind answering.
I have trouble breathing from all flowers whether they have a smell or not. Sometimes I am glad that there is a smell as it alerts me to the fact that I better either mask up (or double mask up) or I should run for the hills (except there are probably flowers there too). I have allergies and asthma and each one exacerbates the other one. Even a flower or plant without a smell affects me, whether with breathing and/or itching.
I am sensitive to many other things, which make it very hard to go places. I wouldn't mind discussing it in a more private setting, as it will probably identify me.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 1:09 am
I brought in peonies from the garden just before Shabbos. What I didn't know was that at dawn and twilight they let off an EXTREMELY strong scent. From a distance it's pleasant, but in a closed up house they were sickly sweet, like an old lady perfume. Confused So glad I didn't have company!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics