Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Risotto questions

Rosemarie

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:21 am
I recently had risotto at a restaurant and fell in love with it. Have been wanting to make it ever since tho I had no idea how. This week the binah has a recipe for risotto. I want to try it for yom tov. My question is if I can make it in advance and reheat (or even freeze maybe). I am not sure if I will have a flame on for yom tov or just a hotplate and maybe oven.
Anyone out there a risotto expert?

oliveoil

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:55 am
Nope, Risotto has to be eating immediately.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:05 am
Aww! I guess I will be saving the recipe to try one day for supper then. Thanks

egam

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:06 am
The only way to make risotto in advance is not to cook it whole way, and then to finish it off before serving. So if you address not planning to have fire on, it won't work for you. Fully cooked reheated risotto will be mushy.

SRD

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:20 am
Risotto doesn't reheat well. There is a way to cook it partially, lay out on cookie sheets in a thin slab, freeze it, and then reheat it/finish cooking it. Really, the best way to do risotto is to serve it immediately - and to cook it requires standing at the stove adding 1/2 cup of veggie/chicken stock (I make dairy risotto) every 30 seconds or so for about a half hour. For this reason, I don't remember the last time I made it! You could do it on yom tov if you have nothing else to do (or kids that are old enough to help). It's really not great if it isn't the exact right texture.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:22 am
SRD wrote:
Risotto doesn't reheat well. There is a way to cook it partially, lay out on cookie sheets in a thin slab, freeze it, and then reheat it/finish cooking it. Really, the best way to do risotto is to serve it immediately - and to cook it requires standing at the stove adding 1/2 cup of veggie/chicken stock (I make dairy risotto) every 30 seconds or so for about a half hour. For this reason, I don't remember the last time I made it! You could do it on yom tov if you have nothing else to do (or kids that are old enough to help). It's really not great if it isn't the exact right texture.

Ok. I nixed the risotto idea for yom tov but can you please post your milchig risotto recipe? I would love to make it one day for supper

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 12:01 pm
I have risotto about once a week, it's a good companion to all the greens I'm harvesting this time of year. I've also found brown arborio rice at my coop and am thrilled with the finished product. A few weeks back I froze some risotto that was leftover. It was trashed when I defrosted it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes