Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
ISO fluffy Whole Spelt Challah recipe.

Mevater

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:48 am
I'd prefer a recipe using dry yeast. Ive had trouble w fresh yeast.

TIA

Mevater

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 2:58 pm
I think Ill try Valleymoms recipe from 2009, even though its for white spelt.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....allah

Any other (Whole) Spelt Challah recipes that are more recent and have rave reviews posted here that I missed?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:01 pm
I make this http://www.thekitchn.com/recip.....43363

I made a year of spelt bricks before I found this recipe. It is so easy and fluffy. I use half the honey as per our preference.

Mevater

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I make this http://www.thekitchn.com/recip.....43363

I made a year of spelt bricks before I found this recipe. It is so easy and fluffy. I use half the honey as per our preference.

Thanks!

Is there a simple way to convert a 7 c flour recipe to a 5 lb bag of flour recipe?

Whats with rotating the ball of dough, and braiding from the center of the rope, both unusual steps? Can I just do what Im used to doing or will I kill the recipe? Must those steps be followed?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:24 pm
I bake by weight and its 2.2 lbs of flour.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:26 pm
Also. DH does the braiding his own way and it tastes great. Do it however you like.

Mevater

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:43 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Also. DH does the braiding his own way and it tastes great. Do it however you like.

Have you tried it with whole wheat or whole spelt flour?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:44 pm
Both. Chicago had a whole spelt shortage for a while so I used white. We liked it with both.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:15 pm
I have not made challos successfully fluffy with spelt, but I have a roll recipe that worked wonders. I probably could convert it to challos if I so desired and had the time to play around, but haven't felt like it.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 8:11 am
Any new very good and easy recipes for a fluffy Whole Spelt (or combination Whole Spelt/White Wheat) Challah, using 5 pounds of flour?

SorGold

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 12:22 pm
I make Devorah Hellers recipe with 2/3 whole spelt and 1/3 white spelt. I replace 1.5 cups of water with seltzer. It is delicious and fluffy.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 4:08 pm
SorGold wrote:
I make Devorah Hellers recipe with 2/3 whole spelt and 1/3 white spelt. I replace 1.5 cups of water with seltzer. It is delicious and fluffy.

Thanks so much, I think Ill try it. (I dont have white spelt in the house, Ill use white flour, it should be the same). Do u happen to know how much yeast you use, bec D Heller says with whole wheat flour you should use more yeast.

SorGold

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 6:24 pm
I do not use more yeast. I never tried that but I would just use however much she says to use for whole wheat.. I do allow the challah a bit more rising time and dont bake as long as she says...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads