Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Wild Rice, Butternut Squash & Cranberries?

Hydrangea

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:34 am
For whatever the reason I am stuck with Wild Rice, Roasted Butternut Squash cubes and 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce and chopped walnuts. Any ideas for a recipe with these ingredients? I am thinking they might taste good together but have no idea how to season.

Suggestions welcome Smile.

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:53 am
Oh my, yummy stuff. Just serve them each in their own pretty bowls. Top the roasted butternut squash with the walnuts perhaps. They would all certainly taste good together on my plate.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:57 am
That does sound like it would go well together. I'd roast the squash, toast the walnuts and stir it into the finished rice. And also stir in some of the cranberry sauce. Definitely not 2 cans worth though.

Hydrangea

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:34 am
MiracleMama wrote:
That does sound like it would go well together. I'd roast the squash, toast the walnuts and stir it into the finished rice. And also stir in some of the cranberry sauce. Definitely not 2 cans worth though.

Yes, it sounded good to me but wasn't sure. Thanks for the opinions.

Any idea how to spice? I am trying to stay off salt if possible.

Shoshie

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:08 am
I just ate this at a Bar Mitzvah. It was amazing. The butternut squash was cut much smaller than the 3/4" cubes suggested. If I were you, I'd substitute the walnuts for the pine nuts and the wild rice for the jasmine rice. Serve the cranberry sauce on the side.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/rec.....salad

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
YIELD:12 servings
Ingredients
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 medium butternut squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup pine nuts, toasted
6 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley

DRESSING:
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, oil and salt. Add squash; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased, foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat; cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, combine red peppers, pine nuts, green onions, dill, parsley, squash and rice. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Editor's Note: To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

Hydrangea

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:22 pm
Shoshie, thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious and will try next time as I am trying to use some ingredients we have in the house now.

Cooking without a recipe is not my forte but since I don't have one how does this sound?

brown 1 onion and some garlic
add the cooked wild rice rice
mix with a little black pepper & parsley
add chopped walnuts (toasted?)
add roasted butternut squash
mix and then add the cranberry berries with sauce

Thanks to all for suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes