Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Cooking Flubs

Sanguine

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:32 am
We cook for Shabbat every week with no trouble but the minute there's a second (or third) day things go crazy.

So these are my cooking flubs so far.

1 - I don't make fish often but for a Chalavi meal (we're not Sfardim) I was baking simple sole with Teriyaki sauce on it. I checked and it looked very watery so I uncovered it and let it baking longer - and longer - and longer... Well it's certainly not watery anymore. Sad

2 - This was big one - DD baked a yummy looking cheesecake last night. I put it in the fridge (so far so good). I took out meat to defrost and left it in the fridge overnight in a bag on the shelf above that delicious looking cheese cake. The refridgerator shelves are grates (not solid glass). So this morning I woke up to a nice puddle of "blood" from the defrosting meat sitting on that delicious looking cheese cake Sad Sad Sad .

morah

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 8:55 am
Ouch! Mine is not as bad in terms of the food so much as just plain silly. I like to boil up a lot of eggs for Shabbos/YT because its an easy snack and also good for chopping up and throwing in a vegetable salad or for making egg salad. I ruined my hard boiled eggs last night because I was not paying attention and left them boiling until the water was gone. Yup, I burned a batch of hard boiled eggs. And I'm known for my fancy cooking, so it's ironic that I should ruin a batch of eggs.

vicki

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 8:59 am
I can let you know more about what I ruined after Shavuot. Nothing obviously, but I think the new chocolate cream cake recipe will not be as good as we hoped and I made too many sweet main dishes. A clump of brown sugar fell into one sauce. I mistakenly let the kids direct the menu. Then I was too lazy to edit. Each kid made a mini-cheesecake in school to bring home. Let's just say, they can each eat their own. If they even want to.

RedCurls

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:37 am
I tried red velvet gluten free cupcakes from joy of kosher but I think I used the wrong blend because they came out gluey and not sweet. This is why I don't bake!

Mimisinger

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:51 am
Made yummy meat last night. Came into the kitchen this morning and there is still was on the counter Sad Had to throw it out.

Sanguine

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:57 am
Mimisinger wrote:
Made yummy meat last night. Came into the kitchen this morning and there is still was on the counter Sad Had to throw it out.
OK - now you're winning for saddest story (I only threw out a cheese cake)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics