Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Using Craigslist

mommyofd1

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:29 pm
With all the stories about horrible things that happened to people who went to look at craigslist stuff, is it halachicaly ok to use it?

doctorima

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:41 pm
I'm confused. Why would it be halachically forbidden to buy something from Craig's List? If you're worried about something happening to you, use common sense - don't go buy yourself, make sure somebody knows where you're going and when you should be back, try to meet in a crowded public area if possible, check the house and neighborhood before going into any houses. But a few tragic stories shouldn't make all of Craig's List assur anymore than it would be forbidden to drive because people have been killed by drunk drivers.

samantha87

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:55 pm
Sigh. You shouldn't be asking if it's muttar or assur, but rather if it's safe or sensible.

I thought it was only "yeshiva bochrim" who never developed the ability to think of common sense and right and wrong without reducing all questions to muttar or assur. We women are supposed to be more practical than that.

seeker

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:07 pm
doctorima wrote:
I'm confused. Why would it be halachically forbidden to buy something from Craig's List? If you're worried about something happening to you, use common sense - don't go buy yourself, make sure somebody knows where you're going and when you should be back, try to meet in a crowded public area if possible, check the house and neighborhood before going into any houses. But a few tragic stories shouldn't make all of Craig's List assur anymore than it would be forbidden to drive because people have been killed by drunk drivers.

This.
Plenty of good Craigslist experiences both buying and selling.
Bring along a well-built husband or brother or something and meet in public. If you're dealing in furniture that can't easily be dragged to a public meeting place, then just have a couple of the scary men around, don't go past the doorway, go at a high-traffic time, and skip it if the neighborhood or house gives you a bad feeling.

mommyofd1

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:05 am
thanks, I just wanted to make sure, I know some people who got scared off because there was a woman who went to look at baby clothes and unfortunately did not come out alive, and now they won't buy anything on it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:18 am
Refusing to use it anymore is ok. But it's not about halacha.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:35 am
Can I use my phone
So many ppl do bad things with their. Phone
It's very rare that you want talk l Hara on your phone
What is the heter to use it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions