Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning ladys- why do they get me so nervous?

sotired3

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:24 pm
Am I the only person in the world that gets extremely nervous from cleaning lady's? Why do I have such a problem with another person putting things into my cabinets, folding my clothing, etc... It feels like my privacy is invaded. I need a cleaning lady, as I am not managing, but every time I get one I end up getting rid of her because I feel like my house is not my own.

Am I wrong to feel this way? and what can I do about it?

mommyla

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:30 pm
Don't ask her to fold your laundry if you don't like it. Just have her clean the bathrooms, kitchen, floors, etc. and do the laundry and putting away yourself.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:23 pm
There's nothing "right" or "wrong" about feelings, they simply are what they are. Many people feel at least invaded, if not downright intimidated by their cleaners. After all, they know where your skeletons are buried. But remember, you're the boss and should be telling your cleaner what jobs to do or not do. If you don't like her handling your clothes and putting them away, assign her other things to do and tell her not to fold your laundry. If you don't like her going into your bedroom, tell her not to clean that room and give her something else to do.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:37 pm
I feel the same way. I've tried a handful of cleaning ladies and felt my privacy was being invaded. I hate having somebody wandering around my house during my down time while I'm home. I didn't grow up having one, I'm not good at instructing them and I'm just not comfortable with having someone clean my house for me even though I could use help. I've accepted the fact that I just don't like them and I decided to do my own cleaning.

chani8

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:39 am
I am also a very private person and hate having a cleaning helper but there comes a time when you gotta do what's best for the family. If cleaning help is necessary, deal with it.

It could be worse. You could need cleaning help but not be able to afford it.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 10:58 am
mommyla wrote:
Don't ask her to fold your laundry if you don't like it. Just have her clean the bathrooms, kitchen, floors, etc. and do the laundry and putting away yourself.

This.

My cleaner does the floors, vacuuming, bathrooms, dusts (when I nag her), kitchen surfaces and stove top/ oven, living room and dining area chairs and table, sideboard, and irons.

She tidies the beds and bedroom but doesn't put things in cupboards, just neatly on surfaces.

She does not do laundry, fold or put away clothes, tidy anything away (I do it all first or tell her to leave it stacked for me as she puts everything in the wrong place as she is sweet but not a genius - hence works as a cleaner and is v happy).

If she did my laundry and put it away it would be intrusive. As it is, we both either do different housework chores (I do laundry while she does cleaning) or I work at my desk (which she doesn't touch at all) while she is there. It is only a couple of hours, so it doesn't matter, but if she was there for longer (or I was ever at home for longer) I guess I would miss my privacy. It is worth it for 2 hours a week.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 11:15 am
sotired3 wrote:
Am I the only person in the world that gets extremely nervous from cleaning lady's? Why do I have such a problem with another person putting things into my cabinets, folding my clothing, etc... It feels like my privacy is invaded. I need a cleaning lady, as I am not managing, but every time I get one I end up getting rid of her because I feel like my house is not my own.

Am I wrong to feel this way? and what can I do about it?

DH has a lot of employees. He says that he doesn't like to hire older workers because they are set in their ways. I found this is true time after time. A younger cleaning person can be trained in and they don't try to control the house so much.

Older people are more controlling. I have a boss two decades younger than me and I know better than her how to run things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry