Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I know no one is going to read this

farm

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 11:20 am
It's erev shabbos and erev erev yom tov so I know I am wasting my time but I just got this NYC Department of Health alert and I am so disturbed. Can we please stop reinforcing the primitive dirty Jew stereotype and join the modern medicine era?
ALERT # 9: Pertussis in New York City

Distribute to All Primary Care, Infectious Disease, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Family Medicine, Laboratory Medicine, and Infection Control Staff

• An increase in pertussis cases has been identified in Orthodox Jewish communities in Brooklyn.
• Ensure that patients are up to date with pertussis-containing vaccines.
• Obtain diagnostic testing and report clinically suspect cases to the Health Department promptly.

May 22, 2015

Dear Colleagues:

The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) has detected an increase in pertussis cases in the Orthodox Jewish communities in Williamsburg and Borough Park, Brooklyn. From October 2014 through April 2015, 21 cases of pertussis have been confirmed, including 18 children and 3 adults. Among the children, 12 were unvaccinated, 2 were vaccinated but not up to date with pertussis-containing vaccine; the remaining 4 were appropriately vaccinated. Among the children, 10 were infants aged <12 months. None of the mothers of the infants with pertussis had documentation of having received the recommended tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccination during their most recent pregnancy. Two infants were hospitalized, of which one had pneumonia...

asp40

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 11:47 am
I don't see how this letter is saying anyone is a dirty Jew. The letter is stating that in this specific population there is a higher than normal incident of Pertussis.

amother
Green

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 12:07 pm
there's a whole group of frum people who are anti vaccines so that's where it's coming from.

GreenEyes26

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 12:07 pm
First of all, you know perfectly well no one is saying anything about "dirty Jews". And secondly, if these communities would USE "modern medicine" there would be no need for these alerts at all.

Your indignation is misplaced.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 1:17 pm
There are plenty of non Jews against vaccines too. One thing has nothing to do with the other. The diseases may spread faster in communities where people live very close together and have many children sharing utensils, bath towels etc.

farm

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 3:42 pm
I am not saying this is antisemetic, I am saying that I am so fed up with the borough park and Williamsburg communities being named in dept of health reports because of their refusal to vaccinate. They are perpetuating the stereotype, putting immunocompromised people at risk, and making all of us look like idiots.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 3:50 pm
I'm actually glad to read this bc my toddler is behind with his shots and I've been dragging my legs bc I have an autistic child and am a little scared to give my toddler more shots at this stage of his development (He had his first year set but not his second year). But if something is going around I think I'll schedule an appt after shvuos iyh. so this was an important thing to inform us.

GreenEyes26

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:01 pm
farm wrote:
I am not saying this is antisemetic, I am saying that I am so fed up with the borough park and Williamsburg communities being named in dept of health reports because of their refusal to vaccinate. They are perpetuating the stereotype, putting immunocompromised people at risk, and making all of us look like idiots.

From your OP it was hard to tell what side you were on Smile In that case, go Farm!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics