Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would u tell some1 they r not keeping kosher?
Previous  1  2

rosehill

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 12:56 pm
There's a long linguistic way between "she makes mistakes because she doesn't know", and "not keeping kosher". If you decide to speak to her, and I'm not at all convinced that you should, choose your words way more carefully than you've done here.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 12:57 pm
could some mod please edit the headline to read like real english?

Jeanette

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 1:16 pm
Even if it was used, so what? Did someone drink a mug of traif chicken soup with it? It was used for coffee and milk. Even if the milk did not have a hechsher how treif could it be?

Or maybe it was washed in the same sink as traif dishes. I know ppl who keep kosher but aren't so particular about separate sinks.

May not ideal but that does not equal traif.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 1:29 pm
Oh my, if the worst she does is unhechshered milk and one sink, she's on the level of many rabbanim.

Barbara

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 1:29 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Even if it was used, so what? Did someone drink a mug of traif chicken soup with it? It was used for coffee and milk. Even if the milk did not have a hechsher how treif could it be?

Or maybe it was washed in the same sink as traif dishes. I know ppl who keep kosher but aren't so particular about separate sinks.

May not ideal but that does not equal traif.

You don't need separate sinks to keep kosher.

There are authorities that permit you to drink coffee from a mug from a treyf place, so I'm not sure everyone would say she can't use the mug.

And even if the mug is a problem, making a mistake doesn't mean you don't keep a kosher home. It means you made a mistake.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 2:15 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
A coffee stain can be a year old.

I know it for a fact it was recently used in a treif place.

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:13 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
To the bold: Thank you Chani8, I often wondered how my Grandmother survived without eyeglasses or light boxes and eating off wooden plates in her village in Russia.

green leafy veggies were not all that available (or popular) in the northern latitudes with short growing seasons (aside from dill, do you see a lot of green leafies in traditional Ashkenazi Jewish cooking?), so root veggies were more the thing. They did use a lot of cabbage, though.

ROFL

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:15 pm
I have a friend whose products are kosher but I question the kashrut of the way things are done in the kitchen and on Shabbat. I close my eyes ti these issues or I offer yo make a salad when I go over for a meal.
These people would be very upset for someone to question them.
On the other hand I have other friends who like to be questioned as they can either learn something new or explain to the person what us Halacha and what is chumra

Last edited by ROFL on Fri, May 22 2015, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:17 pm
chani8 wrote:
Sure, pass me your treif.

Oh, yeah. We had someone who used to do that to us, though never a chicken. Just cake or chocolate that they got as a gift that had a hechsher they didn't use. Good thing it was sweets--it covered up the bad taste in my mouth.

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
I know it for a fact it was recently used in a treif place.

So you say.

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
It was recently used in a non kosher kitchen. That is the coffee stain. We belong to the same shul and our Rabbi would never let. I don't want to ask him what to do because it would be telling on her

Come now. Surely you have the brains to couch your question in a way that does not let slip who the person is.

cinnamon

Post Sun, May 24 2015, 4:33 pm
zaq wrote:
Oh, yeah. We had someone who used to do that to us, though never a chicken. Just cake or chocolate that they got as a gift that had a hechsher they didn't use. Good thing it was sweets--it covered up the bad taste in my mouth.

Whats the problem with this?
I only eat CY many of my friends eat chalav akum. I often give them chalav akum chocolate I get from work and can't eat. I never thought it could be offensive.

water_bear88

Post Sun, May 24 2015, 10:34 pm
cinnamon wrote:
I only eat CY many of my friends eat chalav akum. I often give them chalav akum chocolate I get from work and can't eat. I never thought it could be offensive.

Well, there's your phrasing for one. I don't know anybody who eats chalav akum. I eat chalav stam, as do many others I know.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 24 2015, 10:50 pm
Did you ever just say to her, "That antique cup is lovely. But aren't you worried it might be trief? You don't really know what it was used for, after all," and see what she says.

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 2:23 am
I was doing my usual free-association thing with song lyrics and this came up. Obviously the coffee cup symbolizes something more private ...

cinnamon

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 3:40 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Well, there's your phrasing for one. I don't know anybody who eats chalav akum. I eat chalav stam, as do many others I know.

sorry on the label it usually says חלב נוכרי not חלב סתם

etky

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 3:50 am
cinnamon wrote:
sorry on the label it usually says חלב נוכרי not חלב סתם

Still, even nochri is less offensive than akum.

zaq

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 11:24 pm
cinnamon wrote:

What you're saying is "this is not kosher enough for me but it's kosher enough for you." You really don't see the dig? (BTW, it's chalav stam. )
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics