Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Machine wash a tallis?

sped

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 1:47 pm
Has anyone tried this? I would do it on a wool/delicate setting with no wring, cold water.

yo

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 2:41 pm
I wash them like that. Just tie the tzitzis (strings) Inside knee high tights so that they don't become one knot.

rosebunch

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 11:01 pm
I wouldn't recommend at all. Would you ever put a wool suit in the machine?
Rather give it into a judaica shop that does this service.

doctorima

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 11:18 pm
I wouldn't do it at home, but I don't know that you need a Judaica shop. At least in NY, my local dry cleaners is quite familiar with cleaning a tallis and has always done a great job (including not messing up the strings and knots).

Sarah f

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:40 am
yip done it plenty times usually I soak it first and then use special wool detergent, hang it in the sun and iron

einstern

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 7:26 am
Done it many times but would def recommend buying these "magen tzizit" things when you are in Israel next time. You roll up the fringes in a plastic shell so they don't get all tangled up during the washing. Also, I always use wool detergent and the cold wool/hand wash setting on my machine.

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 7:33 am
What is a a wool detergent called in Israel? (As in the brand or what's written on the package)

sped

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:19 pm
I have used "Shampoo" for delicate fabrics - hand washing only - in my machine quite a bit. It comes in a liter sized bottle,. white with red and blue lettering, IIRC. DH wears wool tzitzis and that is the only way I manage to clean them. I was afraid to do this with the tallis without hearing others' experiences. In the past I have given them in to dry cleaners, but they get yellowed. This is a new one and I want to keep it looking good.

sped

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 5:06 am
B"H, it came out great! I used the shampoo for textile, gentle cycle, no wring. I tied the strings up really well first.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 5:44 am
You bought it in Israel? Does it get less yellow? Dh keeps bugging me to do it, but I'm nervous and want to do it right without ruining and without hand washing.

sped

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 6:11 am
Yes. It is a new tallis and I did not want to get it yellowed from dry cleaning.
There is something you can use to whiten a yellowed tallis that works nicely too. In th epast I used it on wool tzitzis, but I am thinking of using it on dh's other tallis too.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 4:34 pm
Sarah f, what is your method and the product you use to soak it first?

I would love to see if I can revive dh's yellowed tallis.

Sarah f

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 5:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
Sarah f, what is your method and the product you use to soak it first?

I would love to see if I can revive dh's yellowed tallis.

I don't live in US or Israel I generally use a bar of soap called "Sunlight" I wet the area under the tap and rub the bar on the darker parts or marks I fill the bucket with water and allow it to soak a bit (usually a few hours)

this soap doesn't have bleach in it, I use it for all stain removals including oil and it is a fraction of the price of the regular stuff.
I have also used "Color Bleach" on a tallis but its not easily available here.
I read the other day that white vinegar will also whiten the whites, I am yet to try this..
Good luck hope this helps
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry