Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation in london?

Tamid Bsimcha

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:19 am
Hi! our rebbe is going to london in a few weeks and my husband really wants to go along. the question is should I also go along for abt a week? is there anything interesting to do there?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 10:28 am
Yes. London is a great city. I have been there a few times. I don't know if they all fit in your hashkafa, but I'll share some of things you can do there besides for holding an umbrella!

1. London Palladium (Theatre)
2. Buckingham Palace - There is changing of the guards
3. Tower of London
4. Madam Tussauds (just a wax museum)
5. London Eye
6. A beautiful aquarium
7. Big Ben

Then there is Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park, Harrods, and their Subway which is pretty interesting for those of you not coming from NY. I think I also went to a Zoo once and a Churchill War Museum. There's a lot to do and since it's an English speaking country, you'll feel "at home."

Tamid Bsimcha

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:07 am
THANKS!!!
that was a help!!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:08 am
For sure go if you are able! I took my teen DD with me last year for a family Simcha. If you don't have all the time in the world here are the musts:

Change of the Guards - every other day, so plan your itinerary around this. When the ceremony is over, take a walk around the area. You can walk down past Kate's house (with it's own guards - my DD found this facinating) to the Royal Horse Stables - big square and sometimes the Guards come riding out on the horses. There are all sorts of squares with statues around, interesting to look at. You can see Big Ben and the London Eye there.

The Tower of London is a MUST. Liked that best, loads of fun.

We didn't have time For Madame Toussads this time, but I remember enjoying that years ago on a trip. There's also a Guiness World Records that was fun.

Near the tower of London is the London Bridge, which you can walk across and look at. You can also take a boat ride down the Thames, weather permitting.

Visit Hamleys if you can. We loved seeing the lego figures of the Royals, and lots of other interesting lego builds.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:28 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Yes. London is a great city. I have been there a few times. I don't know if they all fit in your hashkafa, but I'll share some of things you can do there besides for holding an umbrella!

1. London Palladium (Theatre)
2. Buckingham Palace - There is changing of the guards
3. Tower of London
4. Madam Tussauds (just a wax museum)
5. London Eye
6. A beautiful aquarium
7. Big Ben

Then there is Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park, Harrods, and their Subway which is pretty interesting for those of you not coming from NY. I think I also went to a Zoo once and a Churchill War Museum. There's a lot to do and since it's an English speaking country, you'll feel "at home."

Not to mention the British Museum.

But, OP, is your husband sure that he is welcome to trail after his rebbe in this way?

Tamid Bsimcha

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:59 am
sounds interesting!!! he only has to be with the rebbe over shabbos so we plan on extending it...

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:13 pm
There are many interesting museums, lots of them free. The British Museum, as mentioned has some fascinating exhibits - mummies, and so on. We often take our kids to the science museum which is also free. It has lots of hands on stuff for kids but if you like science and the history of science you will also enjoy it. They have an imax which shows nature movies. (there is a charge for Imax)

I recommend going onto a site like trip advisor or other travel site for ideas.

Kosher wise there are many ksoher restaurants in Golders Green, a few in Stamford hill, mostly pizza places. A couple more dotted around the west end. Don't miss Grodzinskis or Carmellis, great bakeries. Carmelli has wonderful dairy cream cakes.

quinny

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:55 pm
I guess we have the same rabbi lol! It's a great place to visit.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 7:30 pm
Any suggestions for enjoyable things to do with kids in London - ages 2-13?

little_mage

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 5:33 am
Went to London a couple of years ago and loved it. I recomend getting a city pass-it gives you admission to a bunch of museums, and even lets you skip some lines. We definitely did a couple of things (Tower Bridge Museum, the Monument) that we wouldn't have done if it hadn't already been paid for.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 6:36 am
Barbara wrote:
Not to mention the British Museum.

But, OP, is your husband sure that he is welcome to trail after his rebbe in this way?

Barbara, LOL. That's part of what being a chossid is all about - grabbing every possible chance to see your rebbe. The rebbe isn't going to London on vacation, and I am sure he welcomes his chassidim coming to share a Shabbos with him.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 8:14 pm
DD wants to travel to London this summer with a friend. Are there any other cheaper airports to fly into other than Heathrow?

Hatemywig

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 9:54 pm
Try Luton, Stanstead or Gatwick.

Take into account the travel time and cost from those airports into London. If the difference in price is $100 or less, it may not be worth it.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:33 am
Sure there's lots to do in London.

But why is your DH tagging along on his rav's trip and even considering leaving you behind?

british

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 2:46 pm
just something to keep in mind---- many of the museums, British and Natural History, are not suitable for Kohanim.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:
DD wants to travel to London this summer with a friend. Are there any other cheaper airports to fly into other than Heathrow?

If flying directly from Israel, easyJet is usually the cheapest and flies to Luton (LTN). From Luton, there is a train that gets into central London. Though I don't recommend the flight that arrives closer to midnight as most likely the OP's DD and her friend will have to take a minicab/car service.

If flying directly from N.America, I believe BA has a Florida flight to Gatwick (LGW) and Virgin has several routes that fly into LGW. Also a decent train link (though need to check to make sure there are no engineering works or train disruption).

If making connection via another European city, there are many low cost airlines that fly into LGW or LTN or Stanstead (STN). Though they need to make sure that the connecting airports are the same, especially as lower cost airlines often use smaller local airports and not the main ones (eg Hahn airport instead of Frankfurt, Ciampino instead of Fiumicino in Rome).

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:28 pm
british wrote:
just something to keep in mind---- many of the museums, British and Natural History, are not suitable for Kohanim.

British Museum and Natural History Museum are both quite large, it's only small segments with exhibitions related to human remains so I won't rule them out entirely. Not to mention there are so many other museums. All public museums are free of charge (though donation would be appreciated).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics