Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Researching Modern Orthodox Communities
1  2  3  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 9:49 pm
We are modern orthodox and I'd like some feedback from people about community options that would give us the following:
1. A warm community, with a modern orthodox hashkafa, where we would feel welcome by everyone, and preferably not a cliquey place.
2. A community with a few school options for our children.
3. A community where the housing and schooling are relatively affordable. I know that that means different things to different people, so I'm looking for general information at the moment.

We are open to the tri-state area and beyond.

Thank you!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 9:54 pm
Paramus, NJ.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 10:07 pm
Thank you! What are school options and housing costs like over there?
amother wrote:
Paramus, NJ.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 10:40 pm
Albany ny

zaq

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 11:09 pm
It would really help people if you gave dollar ranges for "affordable". What's "affordable" for a family of 4 with a gross income of $200,000 is not affordable for a family of 6 with a gross income of $75,000.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 11:10 pm
Affordable tuition would be 10,000 per child for preschool.
Affordable housing would be in the 200k range.
zaq wrote:
It would really help people if you gave dollar ranges for "affordable". What's "affordable" for a family of 4 with a gross income of $200,000 is not affordable for a family of 6 with a gross income of $75,000.

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:32 am
Parts of Teaneck would fit your bill, although housing is a minimum of $350,000. There are some warmer, non cliquey communities within the larger community with one day school under $10,000/kid (He'Atid, next year will have Pre-k through 4). The other schools are between $14k-18k but you have a great choice of schools.

Staten Island might fit the bill (I don't know housing costs but JFS is a great affordable school).

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:34 am
hamilton, ontario

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:42 am
I'm sorry everyone - I forgot to mention one very important piece: We are also looking for a place with a rabbi who would be a spiritual guidance for us, one where if we asked the question 'What do you suggest I grow in and how to go about it' would not be thrown for a loop. As a BT, that's a very critical piece. Thanks!

abby1776

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:21 am
Silver spring Maryland is a lovely modern orthodox community. The housing prices range from 200k to 8-900k with a wide variety of housing stock. Easy access to a wide range of job opportunities in the Washington, D.C. Area. Kosher supermarkets, pizza, resteraunts, all the amenities you could want. There are at least two Shuls with lovely rabbis, a yeshiva, A MO day wcho and high school. As someone who has lived in Monsey, Baltimore and Silver Spring, If you are willing to live outside NY - I highly reccomend silver spring. Balitmore is also a lovely community but the MO school closed. You could send to the community Bais Yackov and Torah Academy which have a wide diverse student body but it's not a MO school.

nylon

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:29 am
There's an MO school again in Baltimore, Ohr Chadash. But high school is still an issue--there's nothing in between the community school Beth Tfiloh (now reportedly 30% Shomer Shabbat) and BY/TA unless you send to Silver Spring.

You really need to go by monthly payment IMO - in NY/NJ you will be able to spend less on a house because your property taxes will be much higher and comprise a larger share of your monthly payment.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:30 am
abby1776 wrote:
Silver spring Maryland is a lovely modern orthodox community. The housing prices range from 200k to 8-900k with a wide variety of housing stock. Easy access to a wide range of job opportunities in the Washington, D.C. Area. Kosher supermarkets, pizza, resteraunts, all the amenities you could want. There are at least two Shuls with lovely rabbis, a yeshiva, A MO day wcho and high school. As someone who has lived in Monsey, Baltimore and Silver Spring, If you are willing to live outside NY - I highly reccomend silver spring. Balitmore is also a lovely community but the MO school closed. You could send to the community Bais Yackov and Torah Academy which have a wide diverse student body but it's not a MO school.

The MO school in Baltimore did not close. There is Ohr Chadash (formerly Rambam) and Beth Tefila. Bot schools are considered MO. Baltimore housing can be very cheap, depending on the area, and the community as a whole is very nice.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:55 am
I can't say this enough: Springfield, NJ. The community has an out-of-town feel (we only have one shul!) but we're right in the NY area. There are schools and all the amenities, and most importantly, the rabbi, R Chaim Marcus is exactly the kind of person you're describing.
We moved in recently, and I'm blown away by how warm and welcoming it is. Plus, the number of young families has really been growing!

Anonymous because of identifying info.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:03 am
What schools are near Springfield NJ?
amother wrote:
I can't say this enough: Springfield, NJ. The community has an out-of-town feel (we only have one shul!) but we're right in the NY area. There are schools and all the amenities, and most importantly, the rabbi, R Chaim Marcus is exactly the kind of person you're describing.
We moved in recently, and I'm blown away by how warm and welcoming it is. Plus, the number of young families has really been growing!

Anonymous because of identifying info.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:40 am
(Ohr Chadash is not formerly Rambam. Two separate schools, separate hanhala. Ohr Chadash did start to fill the gap created when Rambam closed, but it's not the same school at all. And as nylon said, no high school.)

nyer1

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:43 am
southfield, Michigan

malkacooks

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:44 am
out-of-towner wrote:
The MO school in Baltimore did not close. There is Ohr Chadash (formerly Rambam) and Beth Tefila. Bot schools are considered MO. Baltimore housing can be very cheap, depending on the area, and the community as a whole is very nice.

I'm asking for my sister who is thinking of moving to baltimore... would that moden orthodox community include women who dont cover their hair, wear pants etc. My sister lives on the upper west side and is in that ideology. whould someone like my sister feel comfortable?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:12 pm
Malkacooks - Fair Lawn New Jersey sounds like a good place for your sister. Housing can be pricey, but it is cheaper than Teaneck, and we are 10-15 min away.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:31 pm
I dont know anyplace in baltimore that is liberal like that

malkacooks

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:53 pm
bump
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating