Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Yesh chochma bgoyim

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:58 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/parentin.....ect=1

I found this amusing

relish

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 2:28 pm
It's a pretty dress.

sequoia

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 2:48 pm
She looked fine.

bluebird

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:59 pm
That dress is quite more than an inch or two above the knee, but that doesn't bother me. By non-Jewish standards (not an insult, just comparing to tzniut) it covers her almost appropriately. It's a bit too short, but not trashy. It's pretty. It's silly to suspend her for that, but it doesn't sound like that was the cause and it was the discussion that was the problem.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:07 pm
There's nothing wrong with the dress, but if she broke the school dress code, as it says in the article, then they have the right to suspend her.

Barbara

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:18 pm
There seems to be a trendlet of high school girls breaking dress code and calling the press when they get called on it.

If you think the dress code is wrong, then by all means fight it. But expect that the school is going to take action.

Chloe

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:24 pm
Looking at the images from the Cannes Festival and other events, this dress looks pretty demure.

But, a school rule is a school rule. We're in the ME generation where the world resolves around me feeling good about myself, me liking myself, and me me me.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:32 pm
I think the problem is this attitude rather than the dress: " “I read in Seventeen that I had to dress for how I felt,” she tells Yahoo Parenting. “If I dressed well I would feel better about myself, and I wanted to feel good on my last day.” " People nowadays seem to feel a strong need to do what will make them feel happy, even if it is against the rules. Any rule that doesn't make a person happy is meant to be broken and rebelled against. That's a very dangerous attitude.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:42 am
I think there is something wrong with the dress. I wouldn't consider it professional.
Leaving tznius aside, the cleavage is ok. Just for the fun of it, I just stood up to see where my fingertips landed. I can't imagine sitting in something that short. Again, leaving aside religious sensibilities. I'm also curious about the view from behind when she walks.

kb

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 7:56 am
Why would anyone bother to suspend anyone on the last day of school?? She's graduating, and will never come to the school again. Who CARES if she didn't follow the rules. It's one lousy day,

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 8:30 am
kb wrote:
Why would anyone bother to suspend anyone on the last day of school?? She's graduating, and will never come to the school again. Who CARES if she didn't follow the rules. It's one lousy day,

I think there were better ways to deal with it. Maybe this is such a pervasive problem that the staff decided they needed to deal with this heavily, but OTOH, what you say - last day of school? For this?

Superuser

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 8:57 am
The dress is many more than a "couple inches" above her knees. The angle that the picture is taken makes it look like it is longer than it is.

mirror

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:05 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Just for the fun of it, I just stood up to see where my fingertips landed.

I can't imagine sitting in something that short.

The high school desks are usually tight, so she can't cross her legs to hide the view.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:12 am
Devoirie wrote:
The high school desks are usually tight, so she can't cross her legs to hide the goodies.

Crossing legs with such a hem will hide the goodies?

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:26 pm
I have zero sympathy. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:28 pm
kb wrote:

broken windows theory. Disciplining a student for breaking a rule, even if it a comparatively minor one and even if it is her last day, sends a clear message to all others: break the rules at your own risk.

zaq

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think there is something wrong with the dress. I wouldn't consider it professional.

Are you taking about the student who was suspended? She is neither running for political office nor on a job interview--she is a high-school student. She will not have to dress "professionally" until she starts job-hunting, which will not be for at least another 4 years if she goes to college, longer if she goes to grad school. The dress is overly dressy for school, but on one's last day before graduation, one is usually in a party-ish mood, there are class celebrations, and a mildly festive outfit is not entirely out of place. However, breaking school rules is a completely separate issue. The dress would have been unexceptionable had it reached her kneecap.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 8:43 am
zaq wrote:
Are you taking about the student who was suspended? She is neither running for political office nor on a job interview--she is a high-school student. She will not have to dress "professionally" until she starts job-hunting, which will not be for at least another 4 years if she goes to college, longer if she goes to grad school. The dress is overly dressy for school, but on one's last day before graduation, one is usually in a party-ish mood, there are class celebrations, and a mildly festive outfit is not entirely out of place. However, breaking school rules is a completely separate issue. The dress would have been unexceptionable had it reached her kneecap.

I was addressing comments like "nothing wrong with the dress", "almost demure". For what? You may have automatically thought in this context, for school. I was saying that objectively this dress is problematic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics