Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Looking Back - What went wrong - Notes for next yknh'z
Previous  1  2

etky

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:33 am
amother wrote:
Were not getting it. Whats wrong with DH and I? Why do people need a 72 hr candle if you can light the candle on the last day of Yom Tov from the stove? Is this for people who didnt leave a fire on the blech only, or are we not getting something?

It's also for people who don't cook on a gas stovetop with a fire, like me. Or for those who don't leave any type of burner on over yomtov and rely on an electric platta.

Mother 4

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 5:47 am
Sanguine wrote:
Looking Back - What went wrong - Notes for next יקנה"ז

1 - I only realized a little before Chag that a 24 hour Yarzheit candle is useless to light candles the second day when the first day is Shabbat. --- BUT I SOLVED THE PROBLEM - I took the candle out of its metal cup and stuck underneath a tealight that I took out of it's metal cup. It worked perfectly. My 24 hour Yarzheit candle was still burning at midnight the next night Very Happy

Otherwise everything was fine except my air conditioner in the living room didn't go on but the house stayed cool today

We bought a 24 hour candle, and added some olive oil to the glass. It burned beautifully for about 36 hrs.

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:13 am
Iymnok wrote:
Nothing, just to change in honor of Y"T. It's a chumra that's now off my radar.
Who comes up with these Chumras? I could keep this one but what are the rules? Is it supposed to be nicer, or less nice than Shabbat? What about a 2 day Yontif like RH? What if you're going from Chag to Shabbat? How much do I have to change? Just my shirt? Are my socks enough?

Am I making fun? Just a little Wink . But seriously, where do these Chumros come from, and how do you choose which ones you keep? If I wanted to take on Chumros, I'd certainly choose this one over some of those Pesach ones. Do they count equally? (Like when I learned the order to tie my shoes - I said "why not?", it's really nothing. You just have to get used to it (except I'm a lefty and found out years later that I've been doing it wrong Sad )

imaima

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:23 am
Sanguine wrote:
Who comes up with these Chumras? I could keep this one but what are the rules? Is it supposed to be nicer, or less nice than Shabbat? What about a 2 day Yontif like RH? What if you're going from Chag to Shabbat? How much do I have to change? Just my shirt? Are my socks enough?

Am I making fun? Just a little Wink . But seriously, where do these Chumros come from, and how do you choose which ones you keep? If I wanted to take on Chumros, I'd certainly choose this one over some of those Pesach ones. Do they count equally? (Like when I learned the order to tie my shoes - I said "why not?", it's really nothing. You just have to get used to it (except I'm a lefty and found out years later that I've been doing it wrong Sad )

I hAve learnt that in the clothing department, shabbes clothes are the best, then should come the yomtov clothes and then simcha clothes. Like, shabbes clothes should be most gorgeous.
The way I see it done though it the other way round.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:41 am
etky wrote:
It's also for people who don't cook on a gas stovetop with a fire, like me. Or for those who don't leave any type of burner on over yomtov and rely on an electric platta.

Or for people who just don't want to walk through their house with a lit match....

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:45 am
Sanguine wrote:

I usually wear the same outfit during the day that I wore the night before, since I only wore it for a couple of hours. (Unless it got dirty) So if I'm wearing something the whole shabbos afternoon, I would generally put on something new motzei shabbos. I didn't know it was any type of chimes, it's just my thing. Each day of Yom Tov starts the night before, so that's when I put on my new outfit.

water_bear88

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:54 am
I wash up a bit (face and arms) with warm water since it's allowed on chag and change into at least a fresh shirt. Not davka nicer (or less nice) than what I wore for Shabbat, but clean. When it's chag followed by Shabbat, I do it Friday afternoon before candle-lighting. I don't consider it a chumra, just appropriate in our days when we normally change our clothing every day.

einstern

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 7:10 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Or for people who just don't want to walk through their house with a lit match....

Same here - no stovetop fire as most stoves here are anyway ceran or induction and not gas. And I think it is anyway more convenient to have a big candle burn next to where I light my Yom tov / shabbos candles.
We also had neighbors come by and take fire on the first night Very Happy

As for left overs - I cannot see my own food any more after three days and there is SO MUCH left. We considered switching leftover meals with some other families to make it a little more interesting for everyone.
Why is it that I always cook way too much?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 7:10 am
Just noticed you mentioned about the little yaknehaz candles. Our Rav said they are a serious halachic problem and should not be used. I don't know details but something to do with the fact that you don't need them for ochel nefesh. Ask your LOR for next time, which will be Pesach.

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
Just noticed you mentioned about the little yaknehaz candles. Our Rav said they are a serious halachic problem and should not be used. I don't know details but something to do with the fact that you don't need them for ochel nefesh. Ask your LOR for next time, which will be Pesach.
I've seen them described in an article written by an OR. Also, if there are two days of chag or Chag before Shabbat, most people (obviously not you) light one 24 hour Yarzheit candle before the first day and a second during the first day to be sure to have fire in order to light candles for the second night. That's not ochel nefesh.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. I light a 3 day candle during the weekday, before shabbos or Yom Tov starts, in order to have a flame for the next two nights of Yom Tov. How is that a problem?

Even if I lit the 3 day candle on Yom Tov, how would that be a problem? Lighting a general flame is permitted on Yom Tov, as is lighting candles and also lighting for food.

sped

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:44 pm
Sanguine wrote:

OT but - Really? My kids are lefties but I teach them to do it my way (DH and I are rightys). Should I be reversing the order for them?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:52 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Nothing, just to change in honor of Y"T. It's a chumra that's now off my radar.

In our family the girls lit Shabbos candles from a young age, I think Lubavitch does that, but we're not Lubavitch. We always got something new for Yomtov, and we always saved it for the second night. We would change into our new outfit right before lighting candles and have in mind the new outfit when we said the second brocha of Shehecheyanu.

I never heard of it as a chumra, just as something nice to do l'kovod Yomtov.

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:50 pm
sped wrote:
OT but - Really? My kids are lefties but I teach them to do it my way (DH and I are rightys). Should I be reversing the order for them?
Well I learned in HS only one way (the righty way). And then one day I was with my (teenage) left handed nephew and, I don't remember how it came up but, he told me that (I don't remember it all cause I became an apikoris after all those years of tying wrong like they told me in Prospect Park) The reason why everyone ties in that order is cause you put on right first for whatever reasons we do things right first, but then you have to tie left first cause that's the side your Tefilin is worn on (I may have switched everything - I don't wear Tfillin on either hand). But lefties wear their Tefilin on the right arm so all lefties have to do is put on the right and tie it. Then put on the left and tie it.

Well after that, my nephew said - Maybe it really doesn't matter with you anyway since you don't wear Tfillin at all so what difference does it matter which side you tie first? (that's really why I lost interest in the whole thing). But I do remember that lefties put on a shoe and then tie it (how interesting) In other words AYLOR Very Happy .

Then my other lefty shocker (after many many years) - Same lefthanded nephew. I found out that lefties hold the lulav and etrog in opposite hands Rolling Eyes .

I once heard a whole sheur about lefties (it was aimed at a local lefthanded boy before his bar mitva so I didn't pay full attention) but I'm pretty sure that the Rabbi that was giving it had a whole sefer about halachot for lefties.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:39 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Well I learned in HS only one way (the righty way). And then one day I was with my (teenage) left handed nephew and, I don't remember how it came up but, he told me that (I don't remember it all cause I became an apikoris after all those years of tying wrong like they told me in Prospect Park) The reason why everyone ties in that order is cause you put on right first for whatever reasons we do things right first, but then you have to tie left first cause that's the side your Tefilin is worn on (I may have switched everything - I don't wear Tfillin on either hand). But lefties wear their Tefilin on the right arm so all lefties have to do is put on the right and tie it. Then put on the left and tie it.

Well after that, my nephew said - Maybe it really doesn't matter with you anyway since you don't wear Tfillin at all so what difference does it matter which side you tie first? (that's really why I lost interest in the whole thing). But I do remember that lefties put on a shoe and then tie it (how interesting) In other words AYLOR Very Happy .

Then my other lefty shocker (after many many years) - Same lefthanded nephew. I found out that lefties hold the lulav and etrog in opposite hands Rolling Eyes .

I once heard a whole sheur about lefties (it was aimed at a local lefthanded boy before his bar mitva so I didn't pay full attention) but I'm pretty sure that the Rabbi that was giving it had a whole sefer about halachot for lefties.

Rabbi pesach krohn wrote a book about halacha as it pertains to lefties- what is done differently and what is DONT the same.

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:46 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Rabbi pesach krohn wrote a book about halacha as it pertains to lefties- what is done differently and what is DONT the same.
That must have been the book. A whole book!!! I must do a lot of things wrong, unless most the book was about what is done the same (why do you have to tell people to do exactly what everyone else does?)

mfb

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 6:37 pm
sped wrote:

Ask your lor. I asked for my child and was told to do it the regular way
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics