Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name a child after a sefer? Noam in the Torah?

kelsorino

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 3:20 pm
A"h having a baby soon and fell in love with the name Noam. We like to name after tzadikim and bh have no one in the family to name after now. We agreed to name the baby Noam Elimelech until I found out today that the Noam Elimelechs name wasn't Noam Elimelech (lol!). I feel weird naming my child after a sefer. Were there any other Noams in Jewish History (torah, chasidus etc.)?
I will probably name the child Noam anyways since I feel very connected to the name but would prefer for the child to have a tzadik he is named after that he can lok up to.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 3:55 pm
My son is named Noam. Love the name, good choice Smile There are a lot of positive Noam connotations that your son can reference (Noam Shabbos, the Torah is darchai Noam, there is a posuk "Vayehi Noam") good luck with your choice and bsha tova

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:59 pm
Why not name after the sefer if you like?

Noam is a totally great name (my son's name).
Only Noam in the class (in the US) without it being strange.
Beautiful meaning
Achat sha'alti me'et Hashem ota avakesh shivti beveit Hashem kol yemei chayyai lachazot benoam Hashem ulevaker beheichalo.

I will grant you that I do not know of any great rabbanim who had this name.
Good luck with your choice.

zaq

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 5:13 pm
Gorgeous name, I love it. And backwards, it spells "maon" which means "an abode", which is also a pleasant concept mentioned in Tehillim "Hashem maon attah hayyitah lanu" among others. So even when he spells his name backwards, as he will when he is about 5 years old or so, you cannot lose with this one.

kelsorino

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 5:50 pm
Thanx! All these answers just made me love the name even more!!

LisaS

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:02 pm
My friend recently named her son Noam Elimelech. It is a beautiful name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names