Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hair Care for Wavy-haired Toddler

wiki

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:09 pm
I don't know the first thing about curly hair, and now that my daughter's hair is growing long and disheleved, I need help and product suggestions.

Her hair started out straight, but once it reached the chin, it started to grow in ringlets. At least, in some places. In other places, it's still pretty straight, but just wavy. And then in other places it is growing horizonally, straight out sideways (or up, or forward).

Brushing it when dry just frizzes it, I've learned. Brushing it wet doesn't seem to affect how it looks in the morning. So, what could make her hair non-messy? Special conditioner? Shampoo and no conditioner? Pony tails? (My kid always refuses--maybe I should try harder.) Gel? (Don't worry--I can't imagine actually resorting to that on a toddler; I'm just wondering what other people do.)

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:14 pm
Throw out the brush! Wide toothed comb, when it's wet.

There are lots of products for curly hair--I wash mine, put some product in with my fingers, let it dry. Since yours is a toddler, no product needed (Is there toddler product?? I could have used it as a toddler!)

There are lots of websites for curly hair, and there have to be resources for children. Yes?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:15 pm
wiki wrote:
I don't know the first thing about curly hair, and now that my daughter's hair is growing long and disheleved, I need help and product suggestions.

Her hair started out straight, but once it reached the chin, it started to grow in ringlets. At least, in some places. In other places, it's still pretty straight, but just wavy. And then in other places it is growing horizonally, straight out sideways (or up, or forward).

Brushing it when dry just frizzes it, I've learned. Brushing it wet doesn't seem to affect how it looks in the morning. So, what could make her hair non-messy? Special conditioner? Shampoo and no conditioner? Pony tails? (My kid always refuses--maybe I should try harder.) Gel? (Don't worry--I can't imagine actually resorting to that on a toddler; I'm just wondering what other people do.)

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks!

curly/wavy baby shampoo+conditioner at night in the bath http://www.drugstore.com/johns.....82481
brush out hair after bath with wide tooth brush
spray with detangler in the morning, brush out, crimp back up the curls from the bottom up http://www.drugstore.com/johns.....82481

you may want to take her for a trim to even things out just a bit

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
curly/wavy baby shampoo+conditioner at night in the bath http://www.drugstore.com/johns.....82481
brush out hair after bath with wide tooth brush
spray with detangler in the morning, brush out, crimp back up the curls from the bottom up http://www.drugstore.com/johns.....82481

you may want to take her for a trim to even things out just a bit

If only these existed when I was a child!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
If only these existed when I was a child!
No more tangles spray has been around for many many years, not sure about the shampoo, but I find the spray to be a lifesaver for soft curly/wavy hair.

imeinu

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:52 pm
for a cheaper alternative to detangler, just put some water in a spray bottle with a little conditioner.
best thing I have found is to bathe at night as normal. then in the morning, wet the hair and comb with one of these:
http://www.headsuphairwear.com......html

also, pulling 1/2 up with a large bow looks real cute - like this one:
http://www.headsuphairwear.com......html

I'd avoid putting all the hair in a pony, since young ones have such wisps that it can look very messy. though if its as hot where you are as here, you may have no choice :-)

sky

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:19 pm
We have one with wavy and one with tight ringlets.
We brush only in the bath.
In the morning if it must look extra good we spray wet and use a wet wide tooth comb and comb it. Otherwise the easiest and neatest I find is to pin it back off the face. The shirley Temple look is cute on a toddler even if the hair isn't the neatest.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 7:09 am
I comb my daughters hair every morning, with a regular comb. If not it gets hopelessly tangled with clumps of dust. After I comb it, it's frizzy. I then slightly wet my hands and run them through her hair, then I either crimp the hair or reform the ringlets by twirling them around my finger.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:12 am
My daughter has masses of curly hair. She does not comb but uses her fingers in the shower only . She does not ever brush. Washed hair with conditioner and then conditions. Takes out tangles with fingers. Then blots with towel and leaves it. Toddler probable won't want all that so don't grow it long until she is ready to agree to all of this. Deva curl website has excellent advice

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:14 am
Also sleeping on silk helps to tangle less and did u ever wonder about ppl with nappy hair? Braids help keep tangles at bay if you insist on long hair.

spring13

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:44 am
Follow shampoo with conditioner in the bath, then comb/brush while it's still very wet. I find that baby shampoo/body wash in one products weren't so helpful, so I use Yes to Carrots products - made for adults, but relatively natural and gentle.

I rarely let my kids go to school or camp with their hair down, it's just asking for worse tangles and lice and ends up looking really messy. I spray with Shea Moisture detangler, gently brush just to smooth the surface (I have a Knot Genie brush) and then use my fingers to smooth it back into a ponytail. If I have time for pigtails (pony, then braid), that's the best way to keep it neat all day.

morningsickness

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 10:23 am
My almost 3 year old has long, beautiful curls. I love them! I have found the way to make her look like a little princess every morning with minimum effort, as she is a very active and squirmy toddler and can't keep still for long.

I wash her hair every night with regular baby shampoo- nothing fancy, no conditioner needed.

I brush out her hair with a comb or a regular brush, whatever is on hand a the moment. She sleeps with her hair down, no ponytails etc.

In the morning, I stand her on a stool in front of the bathroom mirror. I wet a brush slightly, then brush out her curls and tangles, starting from the bottom and working my way up her scalp. I get her hair damp with the brush, and then I squeeze (or crimp?) her curls from the bottom upwards, to form ringlets. I then comb the curls away from her forhead and brush them tightly into a little ponytail. I pin a nice clip there too. The rest of her hair I leave down, and the ringlets stay like that for most of the day.

On hot days I pile all her hair up, like a ballerina, brushed tightly, then I make sort of a bun with the ponytail holder by pulling the hair only half way through the loop on the 3rd twist. This makes a kittle bu with curls piled up neatly around it. I then pin a clip between the curls and the bun.

lizard8

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 10:29 am
A good haircut helps clean it up and layers might help it sit nicely. I had the same problem with both my kids. My daughters hair looked great when I cut it. My sons though...I'm waiting for his upsherin. His hair is such a mess, its straight-curly and really knotty!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics