Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Win a pre-release copy! Seminary Savvy: The Essential Guide

Yael

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:43 am

Presenting…the groundbreaking title our community has been waiting for.

Real life stories and examples. Candid quotes from girls. A slew of entertaining cartoons.

Seminary Savvy covers crucial, highly relevant topics, including:
    • Staying safe on the go; proper use of public transportation
    • Shabbos Visiting 101
    • Relating to males appropriately
    • Nutrition and eating disorders in seminary
    • Establishing healthy boundaries with friends, teachers, newlywed siblings, and chesed families
    • Dealing with inappropriate touch

From renowned safety expert Debbie Fox, LCSW, this guidebook is the much-needed manual that parents and educators have long awaited. Featuring humorous cartoons and fresh, crisp text—masterfully crafted by a popular Mishpacha journalist to engage teen readers—it’s the book no girl should leave home without.

“This should be mandatory reading for every girl going to seminary—and her parents.”
—Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski, M.D.

Seminary Savvy fills a gaping hole in resources for safety planning for adolescents… an indispensable guide.”
—Dr. David Pelcovitz, Strauss Professor of Psychology and Education at Azrieli Graduate School, Yeshiva University

“This guide will be extremely beneficial, helping girls gain the most from their time in Eretz Yisrael.”
—HaRav Sholom Kamenetsky, Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva of Philadelphia

Be the first to own this groundbreaking new guide.
Enter to win a pre-release copy—the ideal graduation/goodbye gift!

To enter, reply to this post sharing a piece of advice you’d offer to seminary girls, something you wish you would have known.

Giveaway ends 05/22/15. (Book can be shipped within the USA and Israel.)

Click here to order your copy.
Click here for sample chapters.

Sponsored Post

LittleDucky

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:35 am
Biggest tip I got- don't try to have "chavayas" -they just don't always work out. Be open to things from outside your box and ready to try things but realize you don't NEED to do everything "that's done because it's seminary". My best memories were those random occurrences that just happened.

malkaf

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:40 am
I wish I would have slept more and not felt a need to be "cool" and stay up every night until 4 AM. For the first time in my life, I literally fell asleep during so many (interesting! valuable!) classes. What a waste. And most of those midnight-borne friendships - "deep" DMC's of overtired girls - did not endure a month past seminary... In general, I wish I would've focused more on the learning in seminary, developing relationships with teachers, mentors etc. instead of spending most of my energy socializing.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:46 am
Build relationships with the teachers you admire.
If you are uncomfortable with anything (teacher interaction, other students, financially, your chessed family) tell your parents, the administration, a teacher who seems more trustworthy or a local relative.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 1:04 pm
Eat the food they serve you - you'll get used to it, and it doesn't make sense to waste all your money buying your own food!

November

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:50 pm
Being away from home and living in a different country can be difficult, especially for those who don't like change. Give yourself time to adjust- at least until Chanukah.

Liebs

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:28 pm
Bring the things you like to wear...it's all you''ll end up wearing!
Don't become an emotional eater in Sem (get books to bring along on emotional eating) that's why there is weight gain. It's ok to eat ANY food as long as eating from physical hunger and not bec. lonely/uncomf/social pressure.
Find a family you like (maybe that you visitied for shabos) and offer to go help them/babysit just so you get to hang out in their house. you can learn so much more from being in normal healthy homes.
Don't do "chavayas" that you can just watch on youtube.
Don't feel the pressure to always go out for shabbos. YOu can make it nice in dorm too.
Be nice to everyone but don't spend your year being a girl's care taker-take care of yourself!
journal every day. write your goals. check in on them.
ENJOY! it flies by!!! don't spend the year saying how every other sem has....enjoy where you are because that's where hashgacha led you!

relish

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:30 pm
Take it day by day. Don't count down to anything. Enjoy the moment that you are in. Many girls count down to Chanukah, pesach, etc. and forget to enjoy the here and now.

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:32 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Biggest tip I got- don't try to have "chavayas" -they just don't always work out. Be open to things from outside your box and ready to try things but realize you don't NEED to do everything "that's done because it's seminary". My best memories were those random occurrences that just happened.

I speak Hebrew, and that means "experiences". Perhaps that means something specific in sem-girl dialect, could you explain what you mean?

overthehill

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 8:07 pm
Just because everyone says "that you will be homesick and miserable until Chanuka" it doesn't have to be that way. Allow yourself to have fun and to enjoy. Who knows! your homesickness might disappear way before them so don't put an end date to your homesickness....

m in Israel

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:06 am
imasoftov wrote:
I speak Hebrew, and that means "experiences". Perhaps that means something specific in sem-girl dialect, could you explain what you mean?

That really is what it means "chavayot" (or as many sem-girls say "chavayas" Wink ) is used to describe exciting/unusual/dramatic/unique experiences. The type that you come back to your dorm and tell stories about. Some girls in seminary go out of their way to specifically find these "chavayot". It may include trying to go to the most unusual locations they could find for Shabbos and organizing tiyulim to dangerous places, and it also includes things that are more "standard" but are unique to the Israel experience -- like going to Meron on Lag B'Omer, or going to a popular Chassidish "tish" in Meah Shearim or Benai Brak.

kb

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:17 am
The group flight is not necessarily the best way to start the year.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:20 am
m in Israel wrote:
That really is what it means "chavayot" (or as many sem-girls say "chavayas" Wink ) is used to describe exciting/unusual/dramatic/unique experiences. The type that you come back to your dorm and tell stories about. Some girls in seminary go out of their way to specifically find these "chavayot". It may include trying to go to the most unusual locations they could find for Shabbos and organizing tiyulim to dangerous places, and it also includes things that are more "standard" but are unique to the Israel experience -- like going to Meron on Lag B'Omer, or going to a popular Chassidish "tish" in Meah Shearim or Benai Brak.

We had girls sneak off to do a dangerous sport, go off to Eilat, and other stuff.

yrs1025

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 11:37 am
Get enough sleep. Connect with the staff (they are really there for you, do not be afraid/shy to approach the staff). If you are homesick, give it time (soon you will not want to return to the states). Follow the rules and you will truly have a wonderful year/experience. Record the classes if the teachers let (you will want to go back to them later on). Enjoy!

artz

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:43 pm
Try to go to the Kosel as much as possible. you are only there for a year use that time wisely.

questioner

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:17 pm
Try to help the families that you eat by besides for serving / clearing. offer to wash dishes, take the kids out on a walk or whatever.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 12:06 am
Be in contact with your parents and let them know what is going on, but don't be overly attached to your phone.

Always let someone know where you are going for Shabbos.

sped

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:21 am
If the needs of your chesed family are more than you can handle, make sure to tell someone - don't keep trying and then give up.

fluffernutter

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 4:45 am
Don't sleep through class - that's not why your parents paid $20,000. Get to know the families you went to for Shabbos, if you like them the first time, go back. That's the best way to REALLY grow - by watching it all in action.

Yael

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:32 am
Congratulations to the winner of Seminary Savvy: The Essential Guide,

artz!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics