Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Researching Modern Orthodox Communities
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 9:55 am
malkacooks wrote:
I'm asking for my sister who is thinking of moving to baltimore... would that moden orthodox community include women who dont cover their hair, wear pants etc. My sister lives on the upper west side and is in that ideology. whould someone like my sister feel comfortable?

your sister would feel very comfortable at beth tifiloah in Baltimore. and ps everyone Ohr Chadosh in Baltimore is not Modern Orthodox. Not sure what would classify it as MO??

for the poster I would suggest Silver Spring

abby1776

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:46 am
malkacooks wrote:
I'm asking for my sister who is thinking of moving to baltimore... would that moden orthodox community include women who dont cover their hair, wear pants etc. My sister lives on the upper west side and is in that ideology. whould someone like my sister feel comfortable?

I think your sister would be more comfortable in Silver Spring than Baltimore - having lived both places. yes Beth tefiloh is like that - but the majority of Baltimore is far more yesivish and Beth Tefiloh is a minority. Where Silver Spring - there are many more people like your sister and not a large yeshivish community, so your sister would not feel out of place at the pizza store, where she would see a lot more people like her, whereas if she went to a kosher pizza place in Baltimore she would see that the majority of people there cover their hair and don't wear pants. Not making comments about it one way or another, just where your sister may see more people dressed like her.

Shoshie

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:51 am
I don't know Silver Spring, but I agree that Baltimore is more Yeshivish and that M.O. there is to the right.

chatouli

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:57 am
OP should maybe consider Elizabeth NJ - housing is very affordable. I'm sure schools there are too but not sure which schools there are besides JEC and Bruriah. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Last edited by chatouli on Tue, May 26 2015, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amber

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:08 am
chatouli wrote:
OP should maybe consider Elizabeth NJ - housing is very affordable.

And Rabbi Bleicher is one of the most caring shul rabbis I've ever met.

medola

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:31 am
South Florida - Miami beach, north Miami beach, Hollywood and boca

nylon

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:11 pm
I agree that while there are some more LW-MO families in Baltimore and she would be comfortable at BT, Silver Spring would be a more natural choice--though Silver Spring does have a mix too.

Whether or not you consider Ohr Chadash MO I guess depends on how you define MO. It isn't yeshivish and it isn't left wing.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
I can't say this enough: Springfield, NJ. The community has an out-of-town feel (we only have one shul!) but we're right in the NY area. There are schools and all the amenities, and most importantly, the rabbi, R Chaim Marcus is exactly the kind of person you're describing.
We moved in recently, and I'm blown away by how warm and welcoming it is. Plus, the number of young families has really been growing!

Anonymous because of identifying info.

OP: Can you explain what you mean by MO? Springfield may be the perfect community - except for housing at NJ prices - or it may be much to the right. R' Marcus is very personable, and relates to individuals where they are, and people are very friendly.

Schools are Kushner (coed) and JEC-Bruriah (separate). Both schools are good, and Kushner is not nearly as expensive as its reputation.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 2:18 pm
malkacooks wrote:

Malka: If your sister decides to stay in NJ we'd love to have her in Springfield! There is a healthy contingent of similar couples.

lucky14

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 3:41 pm
Silver Spring housing is a lot more expensive then Baltimore.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
Affordable tuition would be 10,000 per child for preschool.
Affordable housing would be in the 200k range.

MO
200k ??
Maybe. Southfield Michigan

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 5:08 pm
Rhawnhurst, PA. Part of northeast Philadelphia. Housing is very affordable and there is a modern orthodox shul. There are multiple school options as well.
Hazlacha

ruby slippers

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 7:04 pm
malkacooks wrote:

Baltimore has very few people left that are "moderrn orthodox" the way you describe. Silver spring has more of that as does Cherry Hill NJ. Cherry Hill has 2 sides east and west. Check out both areas.

malkacooks

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 8:56 am
Thank you for the responses. how far is silver spring from baltimore? she may not have a choice as she is waiting to see where her doctor husband gets his residency.

abby1776

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 8:59 am
Its a 40 minute drive between Baltimore and Silver Spring without traffic.

I know a doctor that lives in Silver Spring and works in Baltimore. But residency it would be tough to commute.

ruby slippers

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:43 am
That is correct- been there done that with the residency thing- everyone sits around the room and gets an envelope and opens it and that's where you are going- what a fun surprise (note my sarcasm).

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:15 am
Silver Spring does not have a low cost of living.

The cheapest house you can get would be around $350K. That would be either a small house without updates or a town house. (Many small houses without updates and town houses are more than that, though.) Those houses aren't available often. The vast majority of houses go for $450K + and most people that I know spend $500K +. Prices are pretty much comparable to Teaneck, from what I can see, but you get a more up-to-date house (central air, open concept, bigger back yard). There are three-bedroom apartments that you can get for around $250K -- I think --- but maintenance and assessments are very high. And you are not in a good area, and you would have to walk more than a mile to get to the MO shul. I am talking about the neighborhood of Kemp Mill. Another neighborhood, Woodside, is even more expensive. White Oak may be a bit less expensive, but it is not really MO any more.

Tuition is high. Elementary school in the MO school, by the time you add in the required contribution and the scrip buyout, is more than $16 K. Add another $3.5 K for middle school, and another $3.5 K for high school. So you're paying $23K for high school. That doesn't include busing, which is more than $2K a year. This is per child. Few families get discounts; this is not New York, where there are some wealthy investors who contribute generously to scholarship funds.

The yeshivish school isn't any cheaper; the community school, where perhaps 5 - 10% of families are shomer shabbat, is significantly more expensive.

Shul membership, especially in the MO shul, is very expensive.

Food is expensive.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:33 am
I came on to post something very similar.

Paramus is a gorgeous community but houses start at 500k minimum and rent is at least 2300/month. It is very pricey.

Springfield is a good idea.

We are looking to move away from one of the communities listed above because we simply can't afford it anymore. We are paying 3k a month in rent, can't save a penny and I honestly don't know where the "poor" MO Jews go. Am I the only one? I have a masters, and I'm still only making 50k a year; my DH earns about the same as me and we struggle even w only one child.

My parameters are a little different because my DC needs support services really heavily. He's in PS. We are looking into Rochester and possibly Overland Park, KS. We just can't afford to live here anymore.

SimchaSays

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:35 am
Rhawnhurst, Pennsylvania has a MO community. It's part of Philadelphia. Rent is generally under 2K for houses, less for apartments. Houses start at 150K.
Local Jewish school has an Orot program for those who need extra help.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 1:34 pm
medola wrote:
South Florida - Miami beach, north Miami beach, Hollywood and boca

Hollywood housing is extremely expensive.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating