Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Job opportunity in Wyoming--help me fantasize, please
Previous  1  2

spring13

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 1:39 pm
For one year? It's a contract job with a definite end date? Your DH can homeschool? Go for it! That sounds like an awesome adventure! Like, Feldheim book deal Jewish homesteading adventure. Totally awesome!

Plan to make a few trips either back to NY (or wherever you have family) for shopping and holidays, and/or to the nearest frum community even if it's not really so close. If C"Y is an issue but this is a really rural area, see if there's a way you can arrange to get milk from a local farmer where you can oversee the process in some way. You can make your own yogurt pretty easily then too.

If I were in that position and my husband was game, I'd think very seriously about giving it a go. I harbor dreams of him being called to work in his company's facility in Ireland so that I could tag along.

brocha1

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 1:58 pm
Hi I have my frum chabad freind who lives there she has three girls and a boy pm me and ill give you contact details she will be so happy to have company

sweetpotato

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 2:22 pm
How old are your kids? What would the move be like for them?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 3:44 pm
why don't you go for a few short vacations during the yr instead of uprooting your whole family. why move your children out of school and from having a social life. don't think that's fair to them and it's something a child will not forget.

self-actualization

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:14 pm
I agree - I get "outdoor fever" every summer, but after a few days at Lake George or rural Connecticut I calm down and head back to convenient NYC.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:39 pm
brocha1 wrote:
Hi I have my frum chabad freind who lives there she has three girls and a boy pm me and ill give you contact details she will be so happy to have company

Are they on shlichus or just live there? Makes a big difference.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:43 pm
Go for it! That's like my dream. I love Wyoming.

Whereabouts is the job? Near Cheyenne? Near Cody?

roza

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:28 pm
One year is not a big deal. You and your family will get an experience of lifetime. You will be surprised to learn that there many who live out there. With proper research and planning it is totally doable.

Sake

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:01 pm
As the kids say... YOLO!! Go!! I live in the boonies and it's not where you live, it's how you live. Honestly, you may hate it but from where you sit now, you'll never know Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:38 pm
Make sure you and your husband have a Rav you respect for when shailas and hashkafic questions come up. Living outside a community and staying... normal... requires an inner compass that many of us do not possess.

Having said that — it's just one year.
One year of broadening experiences,
One year of living all 4 seasons in a beautiful part of the world,
One year of learning to be resourceful and self-sufficient in ways that you will only discover when you try it.
B'hatzlacha!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 12:29 am
Reality check:

I enjoy the fantasizing more than the actual logistics of moving, which present considerable challenges.
I have a virtual job interview this week but no job offer as of yet. We'll see how it pans out.
Google street touring has been fun!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 4:33 pm
I moved from Los Angeles to a rural area of the PNW. Our commitment was for a different lifestyle, not a limited work opportunity. It was not without it's challenges and our rabbi helped us tremendously. There are simple issues that can be resolved with relative ease if you do have the support of your rabbi.

It was an 80 mile round trip to our Jewish community, mikvah almost 200 mile round trip until I decided that the challenge of dipping outdoors (in the most inclement of weather), far easier than the drive and traffic. Public schools were progressive, had outstanding ratings and very accepting so we did not homeschool.

You will need to decide how you will survive socially. Small town life is difficult, so is rural living, it is not without it's nuances. What do you think about interacting with a non Jewish community? Have you decided that you would limit your interactions? (Living in community with rural neighbors in small towns is pretty much necessary for survival on a long term basis.) Or are you willing to be socially isolated? Have you considered the impacts on your children for this very short term relocation?

Wyoming is truly beautiful, but both it's summers and winters can be brutal. Can you think about how this will impact your life for a year?

Feel free to message me if you have have any questions.

LookBeforeULive

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
This does look interesting but I'm a bit confused.

They live out of the RV? Who works? How do they pay the bills? Are they living off savings?

Part of my concern is that I'll be so busy working I won't have time for sightseeing (which is basically my life right now). But at least there I can look out the window to see the sights!

Hi! My family and I left New York two years ago (summer 2013). At the time, we intended to travel the country in our RV for one year. After six months, we decided to extend the trip for another two years!

We live very simply and are funding this trip from the rental income of our home back in new york. This has allowed us to travel without working and to focus on homeschooling.

If you have more questions, I am happy to answer them! You can follow our adventures on our travel blog:
Www.lookbeforeyoulive.com
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating