Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How would you interpret this? ETA and what should I do now?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:54 pm
Someone I know professionally, whose services I use, told me about a contest she was having for her book that was coming out. She was looking for article submissions and the best articles would win some of her services for free.
What does that sound like to you? That articles that made it to her book would win something? Or that she would use all articles in her book and the one she deemed best would win services?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:00 pm
it sounds like she's looking for someone else to write a large portion of her book. I assume she's using more than one article, but she may have room to turn some articles down.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:07 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
it sounds like she's looking for someone else to write a large portion of her book. I assume she's using more than one article, but she may have room to turn some articles down.
I thought articles that ended up in her book would be compensated with winnings. I would never. ever. have submitted what I did, or submitted as many, had I known she would just use them for her sole gain and none for me. These are my creative pieces, I make money from them, why would I give them to her for free so she can make parnasa? I even wrote in my submission email to her "...If these do not end up in your book, I would appreciate if you do not share them with others..."
Was this really miscommunication or was I fooled? I am so so upset. I don't know what to do.

Miri7

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:09 pm
Very unclear. Hard for me to tell. I would ask "will all of the authors whose articles are selected for publication win free services or just a few?"

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:18 pm
You mean she is having people send her submissions, and publishing whichever ones she wants without intending to compensate every one of the authors of these articles?

Or will one 'winning' submission be published?

The first option sounds pretty outrageous to me. Can you still withdraw your article?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:02 pm
tigerwife wrote:
You mean she is having people send her submissions, and publishing whichever ones she wants without intending to compensate every one of the authors of these articles?

Or will one 'winning' submission be published?

The first option sounds pretty outrageous to me. Can you still withdraw your article?
I thought it was the second option. It's the first one. She semi published it already. I don't know what to do. I want to say something. But I want to keep our relationship because we've known each other a long time, have been through many years together and I really need her services which I pay for as well.

Please smart imas, tell me what you think.

PAMOM

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:09 pm
What does "semi-published" mean? Even if you need to maintain a good relationship, you can ask her for clarification. Tell her that you want to submit the non-winning ones elsewhere so you need to know the status of your submissions.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:14 pm
PAMOM wrote:
What does "semi-published" mean? Even if you need to maintain a good relationship, you can ask her for clarification. Tell her that you want to submit the non-winning ones elsewhere so you need to know the status of your submissions.
I can't go into detail. Suffice is to say it's published and on the shelves, being sold, many people have it already, but it's not in a fully bound book.

PAMOM

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:16 pm
Well, are your articles in it? Are you listed as author? I suspect that you're stuck.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
Someone I know professionally, whose services I use, told me about a contest she was having for her book that was coming out. She was looking for article submissions and the best articles would win some of her services for free.
What does that sound like to you? That articles that made it to her book would win something? Or that she would use all articles in her book and the one she deemed best would win services?

No one can give you advice without seeing the contest rules, and the correspondence between you.

If your work was published, and you do not believe that you gave permission for publication in the absence of compensation, I suggest that you consult with an intellectual property attorney.

sourstix

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:40 pm
lavender amother- some of what you are sayiing goes into the legal field. you had a deal with her/him. noone can advise without the details and the correspondence as above posters said. would love to help but dont know enough details. you can choose not to reveal. but I cant help sorry. hugs to you,

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:50 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Well, are your articles in it? Are you listed as author? I suspect that you're stuck.
They are in. I am not listed as author.
Technically I can ask her to pull out my pages but I can't see how she would agree to that and how our relationship would survive this. Do I tell her anything at all? Do I make her change things? Do I give her something that was already published to swap out for my submissions when she reprints?

sourstix

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:01 pm
think what you would loose if this relationship goes sour. try to imagine, and see if its worth even telling her anything about it. I didnt read the agreements so dont know. were they clear to begin with? did she make sure you were ok with it? has anything similar happened between the two of you? if this somwhat not a good relationship then maybe this is a clue that something isnt good in this relationship. I am not saying something is wrong. only you know. maybe this was just a misunderstanding. and it would be good that she knew it. a good relationship is an honest and open one. if you have a hard time being honest then maybe rethink it. and see what can be improved. this is a chance to see how healthy this relationship really is. good luck on your decision.

imokay

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:24 pm
Who does she list as the author of these pieces?

Frumdoc

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:42 pm
I know people who have been taken advantage in the same way. Never more than once, and they stopped using that person in other capacities (editing) once the deception was clear.

There are many great editors around. There are some unscrupulous people who edit and steal other people's work. Most do not.

If she is so dishonest that she did this, I would stop using her as honesty is a basic necessity for any service provider, and you can always find someone else for the job - even POTUS!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:57 pm
imokay wrote:
Who does she list as the author of these pieces?
Front of the book has her name. None of the individual pieces have names.

gp2.0

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:11 pm
Sounds like it was a miscommunication to me.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
Front of the book has her name. None of the individual pieces have names.

This sounds intentionally misleading. Would it be reasonable for someone to pick up the book and assume all the essays were written by this woman?

I would think that regardless of winning anything, your work should still be properly attributed. Unless the agreement was specifically that, in return for your work being published under her name, XYZ would happen. (Not legal advice, just my thoughts.)

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 06 2020, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miri7

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:50 pm
Sounds like a bad miscommunication to me.

You could just approach her really honestly and say "I saw your book and realized that I completely misunderstood your contest/request for submissions. I had thought x, but now I realize you meant y. Had I understood correctly, I would have chosen different pieces to submit, as I had intended to publish those under my own name. I just wanted to mention this to you beacuse if you reprint, and you would like to include my articles, then I need to be compensated and named as the author."

Was there any clear agreement? Did you give her permission to publish? If you want compensation or want your articles back then you may have to consult an attorney, though it sounds like you may be stuck if you don't want to upset this lady.

Everyone be more careful when you hand over your intellectual property to people! I am so sorry you were taken advantage of, OP!!

librarygirl

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 9:09 am
Maybe she is planning on compensating you in services.

I would assume this when I spoke to her. "I am so excited. I saw you published my pieces. When can I use some of the services I won?..."

I wouldn't say anything about your name not being listed. If you are unhappy about your name being omitted, either don't do something like this again or clarify beforehand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette