Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
UK Kollel Life

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 10:12 pm
My sister's writing a Harry Potter fanfiction (link here, if anyone's interested) and she needs help with figuring out UK kollel life, especially in Golders Green.

What would a typical Kollel avreich's schedule look like over there?
When would he be home during the week, etc…

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Thread discussing the story is over here.)

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 11:51 am
bump

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 2:07 pm
You didn't get any answers? :-( Allow me to bump again--I want an update!

intrigued

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:44 am
Wow that was an interesting read! I just saw it for the first time. A few British corrections. We say break-time not recess time, lessons not class. Re Kollel life- it's uncommon in Golders Green there may be a few Kollelim there but not sure if full time that I am not familiar with but maybe someone from there knows. Kollel Yeshivish style is in Edgware, (which is very close to GG so you can base it over there but that would mean the family would live there and not GG it's a ten minute drive away) Manchester, Gateshead and if Chasidish in Stamford Hill. It's a great read can't wait to see more!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 8:42 pm
There are quite a number of kollelim in both GG and Edgware. Though the ones I know are mix of 'full time' avreichim joined by baalei batim for evening sederim. Morning sedarim usually starts around 10am officially but usually chavrusa before that. They would be learning till 1pm followed by Mincha. Full time avreichim usually stays in the afternoon. Evening sedarim usually starts around 7:30pm or 8pm, ends around 9:30pm or 10pm (as I said really geared to accommodate balei batim many of whom are working). Someone referred me to this post so I haven't looked at the fanfiction idea. Happy to have a look when I have time.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 12:55 am
Really enjoying!
I can't tell you about kollel as I've been out of the country for too long, but I do think that they would be discussing "maths" and not "math". Correct, British imamothers?

Metukah

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 4:07 am
Kolel times: 9:45 to 1:15 followed by mincha (in the winter) 3:30/3:45 to 7 (followed by mincha in summer and maariv in winter). Evening seder usually starts 8:30/9.

Metukah

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 4:12 am
Oh, and Golders Green has plenty kollelim and plenty full time kolel avreichim.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 4:05 pm
Thank you everyone!
I forwarded the information to my sister. The next chapter's being worked on.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 4:09 pm
YAY keep us posted!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club