Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Sheital Gemach for Kallah wedding

abound

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 4:48 pm
Sheital Gemach- Anyone know of a sheital Gemach for a Kallah that she can wear the sheital by the weddiing and not ruin her sheital?
Needed in NY
Thanks

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 5:07 pm
Synthetic?

Kitten

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 5:09 pm
How could she ruin her sheitel? If she wants to "ruin" a sheitel from a gemach, she might as well get a cheap synthetic. You can find really nice ones.
Does she want to keep her sheitel as a decorative object she will never wear?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 6:46 pm
I wore my sheitel by my wedding, wasn't ruined, I wore it for many years after. Some kallahs set up appointments with a sheitel macher to have it redone either during or after Sheva Brachos. Assuming she gets more than one sheitel, she can wear the other one for the first couple of Sheva Brachos.

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 7:21 pm
glutenless wrote:
I wore my sheitel by my wedding, wasn't ruined, I wore it for many years after. Some kallahs set up appointments with a sheitel macher to have it redone either during or after Sheva Brachos. Assuming she gets more than one sheitel, she can wear the other one for the first couple of Sheva Brachos.

I had mine redone the morning after. Your own sheital is going to look the best on you unless you are renting a sheital out of your purchase price range.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 7:24 pm
Sorry to interject but in what circles is it common to wear a sheitel to your own wedding? I never heard of this.

ra_mom

abound wrote:
Sheital Gemach- Anyone know of a sheital Gemach for a Kallah that she can wear the sheital by the weddiing and not ruin her sheital?
Needed in NY
Thanks

I have not heard of a Gemach, but I heard of renting an expensive / longer wig from some sheitel machers for about $350.

Why would wearing a wig to the wedding ruin it?

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jun 02 2015, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Notsobusy

Squishy wrote:
I had mine redone the morning after. Your own sheital is going to look the best on you unless you are renting a sheital out of your purchase price range.

I agree, besides, why bother renting an expensive wig if yours is mostly covered by the headpiece and veil?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 7:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Sorry to interject but in what circles is it common to wear a sheitel to your own wedding? I never heard of this.

My grandmother cared very much that kallahs should wear a sheitel to their own wedding. I didn't want to, but I knew it meant so much to her that I did it anyhow.

I have heard that some people have that minhag, some people also hold she needs to wear a sheitel only after the chuppah, a few of my friends did that.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 10:54 pm
Kitten wrote:
How could she ruin her sheitel? If she wants to "ruin" a sheitel from a gemach, she might as well get a cheap synthetic. You can find really nice ones.

Kitten says synthetics can be nice.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 11:09 pm
Kitten wrote:

She COULD be one of those hoarder types whose finest possessions never see the light of day because they're always being saved for a special occasion, though it is hard to imagine an occasion more special than one's own wedding. Maybe accepting the Nobel Prize. Maybe having a baby, but I wouldn't think you would save your good sheitel for that!

But maybe, just maybe, the kallah is poor, her good sheitel is a myth, the only sheitel she could afford is second-hand and not in great shape, and she's claiming rachmones on her good sheitel as a way of saving face.

fluffernutter

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 5:40 am
I wore a shaitel to my wedding cuz I wanted to - I have challenging hair so this way it looked good still, and on top of it, it was great. By the end of the wedding, my hair/shaitel still looked really nice! We dropped it off and the shaitel macher that night, and then picked it up the next day before Sheva Brachos.

Kitten

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 9:33 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Kitten says synthetics can be nice.

I had a really cheap synthetic for my wedding because it was the only thing I could afford and it looked nice. It was a no-fuss bob style. You just need to comb it and that's it, no need for a special sheitel macher to make sophisticated curls. It lasted longer than I expected too.

kollel wife

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 11:27 am
I think many are misunderstanding "ruin" to mean permanently ruin.

I think they mean "mess up" so that it will need to be redone for Sheva Brachos.

I imagine this kallah is only getting one sheitel, and it is hard to go out in a tichel right away - so sending the sheitel to the sheitel macher might be a bit challenging. Having a spare - that could be done for the wedding and then another to continue wearing her own one sheitel during sheva brachos would be helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics