Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Jerusalem Chevrah Kadisha turned away someone?!?!

Chaya613

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 2:23 pm
Did anyone see this story about R' Moshe Ehrlich? My father remembers his father R' Yom Tov Ehrlich from Willi.
Crazy Story and now there are 3 kids left at home without any parents.

Help this upstanding family

myself

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:25 pm
No words.

CantBe

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:54 pm
Isn't burial free in Israel for Israeli citizens?

scrltfr

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:54 pm
If you read the article it says they are owed 25k from his wife's funeral. How is that possible?

abound

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:55 pm
I know this family, amazing family with a tragic situation.

Chaya613

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:57 pm
It seems in Israel they only give you free burial where they want, not always a shomer shabbos cemetary. He wanted to be buried next to his wife and parents in their family plot. That costed money.
That's my understanding.
The worst part are the three unmarried children.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:58 pm
Mi c amecha yisroel
I'm happy to see times have changed
My father inlaw zl was in this situation in the 40s
In the lower east side at 16
Hè became a mechanic and truck driver and supported his entire family
The matzeva went up many years later

CantBe

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:08 pm
CantBe wrote:
Isn't burial free in Israel for Israeli citizens?
What were they paying for? I never heard of such a thing in EY. And I know a lot of people buried here. I think you have to be buried in the city where you live, but I know someone who had her mother buried in the city where SHE lived, not where her mother had lived. Maybe they weren't Israeli citizens.

Forget the money story (they got it covered). It's so sad for the kids, losing both parents.

CantBe

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:14 pm
Chaya613 wrote:
not always a shomer shabbos cemetary.
Where's there a not Shomer Shabbos cemetery? There may be different sections, but I never heard of such a thing. Maybe they wanted to be buried in a private section for their Shul or whatever, and that's who charged them. I know that Americans buy plots in Israel in certain Yeshiva or Shul area. That costs.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:29 pm
What the heck is a shomer shabbos cemetery? Never heard of such a thing in my life. People here are buried in the city where they are registered as living. If their family wants them buried elsewhere, strings must be pulled or money paid. If someone wants a specific plot near someone, they often have to buy it.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:32 pm
Something is strange here. It costs maximum a couple of thousand shekels to bury someone here, and usually less. I have no idea what the 25K is for. But it is not for a standard burial.

CantBe

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:33 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
What the heck is a shomer shabbos cemetery? Never heard of such a thing in my life. People here are buried in the city where they are registered as living. If their family wants them buried elsewhere, strings must be pulled or money paid. If someone wants a specific plot near someone, they often have to buy it.
The story makes the Chevra Kadisha sounds like villans but there's obviously more to the story. Maybe they weren't Israeli citizens.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:44 pm
There are places in Israel where plots cost 70 000 NIS. Maybe they bought a specific plot?

penguin

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:47 pm
I personally suspect the article was trying to be sensational in order to get people to give money. Very worthy to support the yesomim but rather unfair to chevra kadisha who, I am sure, were not going to leave the poor man unburied.

But it was a very effective way to get ppl to open the article & give money.

CantBe

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:54 pm
penguin wrote:
I personally suspect the article was trying to be sensational in order to get people to give money. Very worthy to support the yesomim but rather unfair to chevra kadisha who, I am sure, were not going to leave the poor man unburied.

But it was a very effective way to get ppl to open the article & give money.
Love these stories

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 5:08 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Something is strange here. It costs maximum a couple of thousand shekels to bury someone here, and usually less. I have no idea what the 25K is for. But it is not for a standard burial.

another poster said:

He wanted to be buried next to his wife and parents in their family plot

thats obviously why it costs more money.

I don't get it - I'm not in this parsha yet but why would you be picky about where you are buried if you are leaving a bunch of penniless orphans? Obviously when his wife passed away he wanted this more expensive option of burying her in a family plot. Understandably, now his kids want to bury him next to his wife.

In any case I'm sure the kids could do with everyones support.

I also don't think it is fair to blame the chevra kadisha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics