Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
New halachic rulings -- 2020
Previous  1  2  3

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 7:13 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Why do we have to turn to the Greeks? Jews used to live this way!! Women had their own tents.....Avraham set up Sara's tent before he set up his own.....the whole thing with reuvain and Rochel and Leah's tents.....and there were also separate tents where women went from when they started bleeding until they went to the Mikva.

Except the men had male lovers.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 7:58 am
[quote="yenny"]
Frumdoc wrote:
Separate homes for men and women, women live with children all week and men live in dorms and only visit for conjugal rights for half an hour on a Friday night plus on mikvah night.

Darling it's called the "country" with men being away all week and ladies sitting upstate all summer long.
Imagine there would be a gzeira or hala hic ruling that men have to be away from their wives all week oh the rabbi ,orthodox bashing that would be going on.

Going away to the country for the summer is as wierd to me as living as an amazon tribal member who believe in transmutation. Not a "jewish" custom specifically, a community one.

I guess you believe it is obligatory and you should shun anyone who doesn't want to be separated from their dh for months on end. I think it is awful.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 7:58 am
Iymnok wrote:
Except the men had male lovers.

I totally didn't see that the first time I read it!!! So yea, minus that. Although you never really know what happened becasue no one ever would even dare to write about it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 8:21 am
That "country" thing is old. Italians already did it centuries ago, the cities became unlivable in the summer, they sent wives and kids (those who could!!!) for months and that's how they ended up with... female shochtim...! yup!

non jews also had this concept, of "secundary dwelling", either a family house or later hotels, for wife and kids in smmer while dh worked... later the wives also worked and the kids were sent to grandparents, uncle aunts... one or two months in the summer. You have, say, Poles who send their kids to family in the old country while living here.

Nowadays you have bungalows or kosher hotels and generally the husband goes too (ime). And it's one or two weeks, as opposed to one or two months.

yenny

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 8:29 am
Frumdoc wrote:
Going away to the country for the summer is as wierd to me as living as an amazon tribal member who believe in transmutation. Not a "jewish" custom specifically, a community one.

I guess you believe it is obligatory and you should shun anyone who doesn't want to be separated from their dh for months on end. I think it is awful.

Am I getting your second part corrctly? Rolling Eyes shock For some reason your assuming I think the country is normal. That's a cute joke bc you wouldn't catch me dead in the country without my husband. And anyone that's knows me knows not to bring up the subject if they are not ready to hear how insane the setup is.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 8:31 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Why do we have to turn to the Greeks? Jews used to live this way!! Women had their own tents.....Avraham set up Sara's tent before he set up his own.....the whole thing with reuvain and Rochel and Leah's tents.....and there were also separate tents where women went from when they started bleeding until they went to the Mikva.

but they interacted with each other, and they had a physical relationship based on desire, not purely child-rearing.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics