Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Early shabbos dilemma

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 9:11 am
I am just venting here but would appreciate some advice. I am anonymous because of the personal nature of this post.
I moved about 9 months ago to a new community. We have no eruv or shul as of yet. Since the closest minyan is an hour walk we decided to make a minyan. I arranged to borrow two Torah and bought a safe for them. I also bought four tables and 40 chaira so we have place to daven.....in my dining room. In the beginning another neighbor had both malaria davening bu him but aftwr a few weeks didnt want it and it is all by my house now.
Now the problem....I do love giving my house up for the shul. It has taught my kids a lot however, the late shabbos is getting to me.....badly. I cant put my kids to bed during davening so it is surge before or after. In addition it is just too late....they start davening now after 8. I cant set up my meal till davening is over and then we eat. I dont get to bed till late and I have to be up and dressed both me and kida by 8:45 am when the men come for shacharis. (I have to entertain them each davening they are 4&2)
Even davening an hour early would be huge for me. However when I brought it up it was divided half wants early and half late and they decided on late. I have been dealing with it but ut us getting to me. I need to eat earlier and get to bed earlier.
I haven't asked anything of the ppl davening except this and some ppl just wont do it. (I make a kiddush each week, have no ding room all shabbos, and set up and clean it up all week)
I just wish theu would give in. End of vent

mfb

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 9:27 am
I would say that if your dh is on board with early shabbos, and you will have a minyan, then its your call. If they want a late minyan then they can host it.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 9:55 am
My dh wants it just as badly as I do, however we only have enough people for one minyan. We are only 12 families.

animeme

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 10:07 am
Is it possible that some of these people can't be home in time for an early minyan? My dh always tells me that getting out of work without issue for early winter Shabboses is connected to working maximum time in the summers. And the Friday afternoon commutes in the summer can be extra long too.

Is it possible that you could have one early minyan a month and people can accommodate that?

Practical possibility: If you have an eat in kitchen, eat there on Friday nights. Set the table nicely and go right to the meal after davening.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 10:22 am
Animeme's idea of eating in the kitchen is a good one. You can also try to get someone else to host the Friday night maariv, even if they won't do it every week, they can do it once or twice a month, or there can be a rotation, during the summer every family hosts it 2 times or something.

GetReal

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 10:39 am
It's pretty amazing of you to host this shul! Kol Hakavod.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 11:26 am
Thanks for the responses. Regarding the eat in kitchen idea. It cant really work as it is right by the dining room and I cant set up during davening really and my kids eat there before that. Altjough we sometimes eat there if the kids fall asleep so I dont have to move and move back the tables and chairs in the dining room and clean it up for the morning.
I asked dh to Dee if maybe we can do every other week or something but dont think it will work. It seems that a couple ppl like to work late friday afternoon. (But if they would've voted for early shabbos would have somehow made it work)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note