Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Wick and oil lighting help

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 11:13 am
I have these that I use with these. There are two ways it works without filling the whole cup with oil because I don't need it lit for so long and that's a lot of oil to use. It either works with pouring the oil directly onto the wick or filling partially with water and oil. Con for the second way, there's more smoke and it doesn't last very long. Halachically it lasts long enough, but with the same amount of oil, less time if it has water in it. The smoke bothers me more. The other way, it sometimes extinguishes right away and I need to put another wick in and do it again. Usually only two don't work, but this past week, all, but one extinguished. What do you think I should do? Any ideas? This is what I'm using now, so saying I should use something else won't be helpful.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 11:19 am
My husband does my candles for me, so I might be somewhat inaccurate over here, but I have the same sort of stuff for my leichter, and we haven't had a problem. We don't fill up the glass all the way - it has about a third of oil and the rest is empty. My husband does pour oil over the actual wick, but I don't know why. Haven't noticed an excess amount of smoke.

If I have time, maybe I'll post a pic of my ready leichter, but don't rely on it.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 1:01 pm
The reason why I have to pour the oil over the wick is because the oil is too little for it to reach and it extiguishes before it reaches the oil otherwise. I only have the smoke issue when I use with water.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 1:03 pm
So use longer wicks.

miri15

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 3:36 pm
Use a smaller fluted glass (like the ones for the Chanukah Menorah).

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 3:41 pm
I use the same thing; only fill it with about 1/4 oil and the rest water. I have on problem with smoke. I think that is only if you use a very low grade olive oil.

hlweee

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 3:42 pm
Buy different wicks. I find that these smoke. I use the floaters now.

yo'ma

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 6:42 pm
kb wrote:
So use longer wicks.

I don't see how that would make a difference. There's more than enough wick to catch fire.
miri15 wrote:
Use a smaller fluted glass (like the ones for the Chanukah Menorah).

I've never seen them where I live except maybe chanukah time.
OOTBubby wrote:
I use the same thing; only fill it with about 1/4 oil and the rest water. I have on problem with smoke. I think that is only if you use a very low grade olive oil.

Maybe, but I have used other oil and the same thing happened, but not with these wicks, but I'll try that. BTW, it only smokes when I use it with water also.
hlweee wrote:
Buy different wicks. I find that these smoke. I use the floaters now.

I used to use floaters and when I did, I used it with water because otherwise it's too deep in the cup to light and they smoked. The reason why I stopped using floaters was because I had too many problems with lighting them and staying lit. I used a good brand, but it didn't extinguish like these. It would go out within a half hour to hour and make a lot of noise while doing so, like a crackling sound.

Thank you everyone for your input!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note