Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
GE has similar Stainless Gas Ranges, how do I choose?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 11:47 am
I narrowed it down to only the ones that have the self clean on both of the ovens.

http://products.geappliances.c.....0SFSS

Id rather be advised here than by a salesperson with an agenda.

Differences are

1- Price, what maks the $2800 oven much better than the $1300 oven?

2- Radiant Smoothtop or Sealed Cooktop Burner Type, whats better?

3- Strength of Burners

4- Location of controls

5- Control type- Digital Temperature Display? Electronic Touch?

6- Continuous grates?

7- Total cu ft, and space of he two ovens

8- Whats easiest to clean, day by day?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 12:05 pm
I don't know which GE range I have,
But the Sabbath Mode has a problem the fan turns on and off when the door is opened and closed.
The door glass cracked from self cleaning.
Just overall not happy with the quality.
I also have a GE fridge, also unhappy with the quality.
Every door shelf has a crack, after 2 years, I'm very careful with my stuff.
Just all around disappointed.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know which GE range I have,
But the Sabbath Mode has a problem the fan turns on and off when the door is opened and closed.
The door glass cracked from self cleaning.
Just overall not happy with the quality.
I also have a GE fridge, also unhappy with the quality.
Every door shelf has a crack, after 2 years, I'm very careful with my stuff.
Just all around disappointed.

My repair person said to go with GE, and hes very trustworthy. My sister HATES her Maytag. It smells of gas, among other things, and Maytag cant locate the problem. All brands have issues, I think. I just checked and Consumer Reports said GE has from the least repairs (Frigidaire, GE and Kenmore) on the frequency of repair list.

srbmom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 12:20 pm
I don't have a GE range, but I have a GE fridge for four years and have not had one iota of an issue at all. Love it

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 1:04 pm
I had a GE Profile 5 burner gas range with a warming drawer (which was fine for cooking some items). It performed flawlessly. It is important to buy a vent hood that is capable of handling the heat from 5 burners and two ovens.
ETA: I paid $1k for the range since it had a scratch and was rejected by another customer. Once installed the scratch didn't show.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 1:13 pm
can you use one oven for milchigs and one for fleishigs? Does the bigger oven have 2 racks?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
can you use one oven for milchigs and one for fleishigs? Does the bigger oven have 2 racks?

I know frum people who do. Racks are detailed on the GE chart above,

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 1:51 pm
At a glance, the more expensive is "true" convection and the least expensive if "fake" convection which consists of a fan. Over simplifying because it has been awhile since I researched a stove.

Also, the most expensive has the ability to turn two burners into one burner. This may or may not be important to you as it lets you cook long pans on the stove. This is helpful if you are making gravy (for example).

More powerful burners. I think the power ball heats up more quickly which may be important to you.

I think hidden bake means the coils are not visible in the oven which helps when you are trying to clean. Again, double check because it's been awhile since I researched.

The cheapest isn't Star K compliant.

the most expensive ($2800) is a slide in. This is a GREAT option if you are remodeling your kitchen because it eliminates any gaps between the stove and the counter. If you are just replacing a stove, then you wouldn't be able to use it anyway because it's you need to replace the counter so that it sits properly.

When I did research the Kenmore stoves were rated very well and are less expensive than the brands. Kenmore doesn't make appliances but has other manufacturers do it. When I bought my DW, the higher end Kenmore DW were made by Bosch but I went with a Busch because it was prettier. :-)

granolamom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 5:06 pm
I have a ge profile, not sure which one, and I love it. mostly anyway. its 5.5 years old and so far no problems.

for me, the first thing to decide would be between electric range or gas. I prefer gas (its what I've always had and I'm used to it) so that would narrow down the choices some. I have continuous grates and I love that feature, can easily slide pots around. I dont know that that would be *the* deciding factor, but its a nice feature.

I also have sealed burners, which are pretty easy to clean especially since the range I had before this one was from the 1960's and a real pain to clean. I'm a big fan of the sealed burners.

I would only buy one that is starK certified, I love the sabbath settings.

I would also pay close attention to the size of the ovens and see if that is compatible with the way you plan to use the ovens. Mine has a regular full size oven plus a baking drawer (not a warming drawer) which I use for milchig, the baking drawer is electric and functions like a very large toaster oven (ie not very powerful and takes a loooong time to heat up) but I dont use it all that often so its ok for me. the full size oven on mine is gas and supposedly also a convection but I suspect its one of those 'fake convections' because its not as awesome as my friends claim their electric convection wall ovens are. I use regular bake and its fine.

I didnt care much about the strength of the burners, I figured I'd get used to anything especially because as I said my old oven was very old and pretty awful, so anything was a step up for me. but as it turns out, its got its pros and cons, nice to have a large very powerful burner for large pots of soup and a small burner for sauces and simmering but I think I'd prefer all average size and power so I could use all for everything.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 6:25 pm
******Update******:

When I was in a store today, I was told the bigger of the two ovens isnt as big as the two double identical wall ovens. And theres the bending issue with the range (having to bend down to put things in and take things out and check for doneness). Ive had a wall oven until now and I had problems with the door hinges pretty early on.

Salesman says thats rare, and bending issue and the size are two big advantages.

Would you go with an electric double oven instead of the way smaller double gas oven?

As far as the standing ovens, I goofed, its an easier choice. Theres only 3 Star K gas ovens among them. The others are electric or not Star K. But after being in the store Im seriously considering this electric double wall oven. Please offer your opinion.

http://products.geappliances.c.....0SFSS
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics