Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Belz London reverses, will let mothers drive

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 6:41 pm
http://www.vosizneias.com/2053.....hool/

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 6:49 pm
Boruvh Hashem
Hasdi Hashem

Sanity prevails

dimyona

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 6:54 pm
They won't let women drive; they'll just find other ways to enforce it.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 7:13 pm
Interesting. I wonder how this will play out. The unwritten rule against driving of course remains, they just can't throw the kids out of school. I wonder if any lawsuits are gonna be coming up.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 7:44 pm
Mwahahahahahahahahahaha! Twisted Evil

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 9:52 pm
DH called it.

In other words, the schools don't want to lose their government funding, so they have to find a sneaky way to have a ban, but not run afoul of the law.

Metukah

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 7:32 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
DH called it.

In other words, the schools don't want to lose their government funding, so they have to find a sneaky way to have a ban, but not run afoul of the law.

Again, as has been mentioned countless times, the school does not receive any govt funding.
Also, they are within their rights not to accept children of mothers who drive. (Expelling children in the school is the only legal problem). Please don't state as fact what you don't know is fact.

(I drive by the way)

Frumdoc

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 8:54 pm
I think the legal issue may have been the threat to remove children whose mother's drive, not to refuse to accept new children. This breached the European Human Rights Act as a prohibition on the rights of the women whose children were already in the school, nothing to do with entrance criteria.

They will get round it somehow.

I'm waiting for the antisemitism accusations and demand for financial compensation for the distress caused. Next thing will be to take it to the EU courts to protest their right to ban women from driving.

The irony being that if not a single woman wanted to drive, there would be no reason for a letter, no reason for a ban and no bad publicity.

nylon

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 9:54 pm
The school is not currently state aided, but shortly before the ban, it had applied for aided status: http://hackneycitizen.co.uk/20.....ding/

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 9:33 am
nylon wrote:
The school is not currently state aided, but shortly before the ban, it had applied for aided status: http://hackneycitizen.co.uk/20.....ding/

Well, good luck with that application now.

momma4

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 12:07 pm
I would like to make some clarifications here ( no bashing please). A family member is part of the belz school vaad in London I spoke to him about this topic. .. its an ugly story... It was one askan that has something personally against a family where the women drives. He went ahead wrote the letter and convinced some dayanim to sign it and the letter was sent out without the belz rebbe agreeing to it or discussing it with the other vaad members. The rebbe was extremely angry when he was told about it. It's true that the rebbe is not fond to the idea of women driving but so isn't he fond of men driving and he would never in his life enforce it in such an ugly way. Now this askan is in trouble and he put the belz school and cheder in trouble as well. Yes they are working with lawyers to try to reverse this letter. It might be very difficult. The askanim are in constant contact with the rebbe for guidance on how to proceed.

marina

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 1:22 pm
I'm not in favor of this. Separation of church and state is not a thing in England. That's why we left.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:07 pm
momma4 wrote:
I would like to make some clarifications here ( no bashing please). A family member is part of the belz school vaad in London I spoke to him about this topic. .. its an ugly story... It was one askan that has something personally against a family where the women drives. He went ahead wrote the letter and convinced some dayanim to sign it and the letter was sent out without the belz rebbe agreeing to it or discussing it with the other vaad members. The rebbe was extremely angry when he was told about it. It's true that the rebbe is not fond to the idea of women driving but so isn't he fond of men driving and he would never in his life enforce it in such an ugly way. Now this askan is in trouble and he put the belz school and cheder in trouble as well. Yes they are working with lawyers to try to reverse this letter. It might be very difficult. The askanim are in constant contact with the rebbe for guidance on how to proceed.

Gitten 57b
There was a fellow who had a friend Kamtza and an enemy bar. Kamtza .....

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 6:02 pm
marina wrote:
I'm not in favor of this. Separation of church and state is not a thing in England. That's why we left.

Indeed, there is no separation of church and state in American sense here. Thanks to that, Jewish (and other religious) schools can benefit from public funding on the school building and chol curriculum, which means far less school tuition compared to Jewish schools in America. That's why we haven't returned to US.

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 7:39 pm
thank you momma4 dh when he heard about the ban. that something was off. the ruv always said that he puts a ban in times when things are really needed. if he would come out with a ban that he knows will not be listened to he wont do it. and he does a ban when its really needed so pp would take him seriously

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 8:03 pm
momma4 wrote:

Hmmm we have no way of knowing whether this is true or whether they are trying to save face by saying it was one man's doing. Either way, the letter was approved by rabbanim. Whichever way you spin this story that you posted, it stinks.

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 8:21 pm
look I dont agree with the ban. but leave the belzers alone for goodness sake. they have had enough of negative publicity. lets move on.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:19 am
If the head rabbi were against it, he should have said so right away.

Either you are the leader, or you are not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics