Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do I keep them stimulated? Ideas please!!

MountainRose

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 11:18 am
I have two boys (aged 2 and 4) who get home at the same time. There's an hour of downtime before dinner, but they are seem to be getting bored during that time more and more often. Any thoughts for 45min-hour activities that I can do with a young two-year-old and a four year old at the same time?

TIA

lfab

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 12:55 pm
For indoor activities try building toys such as legos, mega blox, or magnatiles.
Do they like coloring? I find if I set my kids up with paper, crayons, scissors, and glue they can keep busy for hours.
Play-doh
If the weather is nice you can take them out to a local playground or to ride bikes, sidewalk chalk, etc.
Or let them help you with dinner prep.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 2:07 pm
I find that after a day of school my 4 year old wants to just chill when he gets home. Look at books, play legos, take a bath with toys, talk to me while I make dinner. DH takes him on errands some days. School itself is very stimulating. I try to keep home relaxed.

baltimoremom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:14 pm
My kids are 2 and 4. On nice days we come home have a small snack and go to the park but be prepared bc I find they come home from the park wanting to eat right Away and so those nights are quick dinners.
On rainy days we usually play with Legos/cars and trucks it's more work then going outisde bc I have to sit and make sure they are sharing. On those days we sometimes do an early long bath.
I also take rainy days as an opportunity to catch up on folding laundry and make it a fun activity. Those days I have to make dinner that needs more time.
On Thursdays we do Shabbos clean up together and we vacuum and I let both kids help. Even the two year old can help out pjs in the hamper, animals in his crib etc

baltimoremom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:15 pm
Also in the last month I have been encouraging both kids to take some time reading by themselves while I prep dinner or for 10 min before we go outside and even my 2 yr can do that. Get books from the library that have lots of pictures like cars and trucks for the kids to read on their own

naomi2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:18 pm
park
bubbles

morah

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:21 pm
Mine are about the same ages. They need downtime at that point and my kitchen opens into the playroom so I can see everything in there. I just take out their train tracks/blocks/puzzles and leave them to their own devices until they start fighting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics