Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Taking meds at school

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 4:45 pm
I am trying to figure out the best way for my child to take his second pill at school. One long acting pill was fine until now, but he needs to take a short acting one midday at this point and I'd like to know what the protocol for this is in your child's school. He is too young to dispense it himself and is uncomfortable for others to see him taking it.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
I am trying to figure out the best way for my child to take his second pill at school. One long acting pill was fine until now, but he needs to take a short acting one midday at this point and I'd like to know what the protocol for this is in your child's school. He is too young to dispense it himself and is uncomfortable for others to see him taking it.

You can probably have it kept with the school nurse. You will probably just have to have the doc fill out a form.

animeme

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:05 pm
Actually, you probably are required to have him take it by the nurse vs on his own. Call the school and explain. They will give you a form that needs to be filled out and signed by your doctor with the med, dosage, and time. Then you give the nurse the meds in a prescription bottle (ask your pharmacy for an extra if you need one- they will make you one) . And yes, you have to give it to them, not send it with your child. Then your child goes to the nurse on schedule every day.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:13 pm
What Animeme said. I was never allowed to carry my own meds as a child or teen. I went to the nurses office at lunch time. I took the pill and left. It was a quick procedure.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 6:27 pm
animeme wrote:
Actually, you probably are required to have him take it by the nurse vs on his own. Call the school and explain. They will give you a form that needs to be filled out and signed by your doctor with the med, dosage, and time. Then you give the nurse the meds in a prescription bottle (ask your pharmacy for an extra if you need one- they will make you one) . And yes, you have to give it to them, not send it with your child. Then your child goes to the nurse on schedule every day.

You're right, I meant to write you WILL not you CAN.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 7:27 pm
Op here, thanks for replies

He attends a yeshivish style school and there are many issues I have with the yeshiva but one is the nurse doesn't have a proper room, but because they legally have one on staff she hangs around with the secretarial staff in the main office, I assume she has a closet there or a place for supple and meds but my son refuses to even consider gojng there as it is a very public place and he is uncomfortable.

The principal offered to dispense it but it isn't working out because she is very busy and he doesn't always get it on time......

The dr is obviously not happy with the school setup, and I doubt it's legally allowed, but this is how it is.

Any advise?

animeme

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:21 pm
Can the nurse dispense it in someone else's office?

Is the problem with public that people know he's taking meds or that he doesn't want to actually swallow it while people watch?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:30 pm
He does not want people to know he takes meds
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)