Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Starting a new job and preplanned vacation

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 9:05 am
What would you do if you had planned to go on a short family vacation in about a month's time and you were just hired to start a job a week before that? Would you cancel the whole vacation? Or would you tell your boss that you had a planned vacation for that time already booked? We are conflicted about this.
My husband starts working in a new place in about 4 weeks and we had already planned a family get away for a week, a week after he starts. No good? Im not sure what is the right thing to do.

yenny

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 9:18 am
Start the job after the vacation.
as a bosses wife. I know it would irk my dh if a brand new employee would come and ask about vacation.

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 9:29 am
Hi. I manage quite a decent size team. It's happened more than once that someone had prescheduled vacation. You can offer to start after or start sooner but take time off. I usually preferred the latter since at least you can hit the ground running when you come back from vacation.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:26 am
yenny wrote:
Start the job after the vacation.
as a bosses wife. I know it would irk my dh if a brand new employee would come and ask about vacation.
But my husband would first have to ask if he could start after the vacation, no?
Its not asking about vacation, its asking if it is ok to take the vacation that was planned for before he was hired.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:28 am
1091 wrote:
Hi. I manage quite a decent size team. It's happened more than once that someone had prescheduled vacation. You can offer to start after or start sooner but take time off. I usually preferred the latter since at least you can hit the ground running when you come back from vacation.
so you are saying that my husband should take the vacation, but to maybe find out which is better, to start later or start and then take the time?

myself

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:53 am
I think your husband should have mentioned it right away. Let him discuss it with his new employer and see what he says.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 7:08 am
This just happened to me (which is why I'm anon, sorry!).For the future, he should have told them as soon as he was hired.

How long has it been since he's been hired? Has it been long enough that it would look weird that he suddenly remembered this vacation? I was newly hired and went away about 3 weeks in for a very pre-planned vacation. It is not so unusual and it's really not that big of a deal. The way I see it, it's still so new that there's only so much responsibility you can have, it's almost better to be going away now then 7-8 months from now.

Always a good option: be honest. Tell his new boss he has had this pre-planned vacation and hadn't told him about it yet because he was trying to figure out if he could/should cancel but that he would really like to still go on this vacation (that he maybe even had planned before he started interviewing?).

Starting after is a good option but it sounds like he is starting in a month and the vacation is in two months which seems kind of far off. good luck with the new job!

mille

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 7:16 am
My husband had this. He started right after. I've also had it where I've started a job with a vacation on the horizon, and I mentioned it as soon as I'm hired. Also consider that many jobs don't give you a chunk of vacation days upfront, you sometimes need to accrue them over time... So if he starts, then takes time off, it might not be looked upon positively because he might not actually have days to take off.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 11:33 am
Just be honest with the employer and see what they say. I'm starting a new job 7.5 months pregnant, and just before RH - so It could be worse! In hindsight, it would have been a better idea to let them know right after he was hired.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 11:38 am
This has happened to me twice and it was never a problem. I was granted the time off without pay since I had not accrued sufficient earned leave time. It was no biggie to the employers.

busydev

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:48 pm
happened to DH last summer. He started a new job 1.5 weeks before my brothers wedding, so as soon as they told him when they would want him to start in the interview he said my BIL is getting married and I wont be able to be there from this day till that day and they dealt with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics