Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Goulash - 'elegant' recipe??

lili

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 12:41 pm
does anyone have a recipe for a more exciting goulash? dh hates the regular goulash, cooked with onions and potatoes...

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 12:46 pm
I like this a lot served over noodles
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....lash/

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 12:54 pm
Do you mean only "Goulash" or are other stews and braised meats of interest?

Authentic gulyás is a beef dish cooked with onions, Hungarian paprika powder, tomatoes and some green pepper.

Potato and noodles (csipetke in Hungarian) are also added according to some recipes.

Hungarian goulash is neither a soup nor a stew, it’s somewhere in between. Though in Hungary it’s considered rather to be a soup than a stew, so look for it among Soups on restaurant menus.

A Classical Hungarian Goulash Recipe

Ingredients (for 4 persons)

600 g beef shin or shoulder, or any tender part of the beef cut into 2×2 cm cubes
2 tablespoons oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1-2 carrots, diced
1 parsnip, diced
1-2 celery leaves
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 tbs. tomato paste
2 fresh green peppers
2-3 medium potatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika powder
1 teaspoon ground caraway seed
1 bay leaf
ground black pepper and salt according to taste
water

For csipetke (Pinched noodles added to goulash or bean soup in Hungary. Csipetke comes from the word csípni, meaning pinch in English, referring to the way of making this noodle):
1 small egg,
flour,
a pinch of salt,
cc. 1 teaspoon water

Goulash is hearty enough without csipetke, especially if you eat it with bread, so you can leave csipetke out.
Instructions
Heat up the oil in a pot and braise the chopped onions in it until they get a nice golden brown colour.
Sprinkle the braised onions with paprika powder while stirring them to prevent the paprika from burning.
Add the beef cubes and and sauté them till they turn white and get a bit of brownish colour as well.
The meat will probably let out its own juice, let the beef-cubes simmer in it while adding the grated or crushed and chopped garlic (grated garlic has stronger flavour), the ground caraway seeds, some salt and ground black pepper, the bay leaf, pour water enough to cover the content of the pan and let it simmer on low heat for a while.
When the meat is half-cooked (approx. in 1,5 hour, but it can take longer depending on the type and quality of the beef) add the diced carrots, parsnip and the potatoes, the celery leaf and some more salt if necessary (vegetables tend to call for more salt). You’ll probably have to add some more (2-3 cups) water too.
When the vegetables and the meat are almost done add the tomato cubes and the sliced green peppers. Let it cook on low heat for another few minutes. You can remove the lid of the pan if you want the soup to thicken.
Bring the soup to the boil and add the csipetke dough, it needs about 5 minutes to get cooked.

How to make the csipetke:

Beat up a small egg
Add a pinch of salt and as much flour as you need to knead a stiff dough (you can add some water if necessary).
Flatten the dough between your palms (to about 1 cm thick) and pinch small, bean-sized pieces from it and add them to the boiling soup. They need about 5 minutes to get cooked.

mirah2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:01 pm
Apparently there is also a Czech version made with thyme/marjorom instead of so much paprika, plus beer...(wine or soy sauce also works well!) I usually don't add potatoes but stick to vegetables like peppers, onions and mushrooms - for starch, I either add barley or serve barley/rice cooked separately.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:05 pm
mirah2 wrote:
Apparently there is also a Czech version made with thyme/marjorom instead of so much paprika, plus beer...(wine or soy sauce also works well!) I usually don't add potatoes but stick to vegetables like peppers, onions and mushrooms - for starch, I either add barley or serve barley/rice cooked separately.

Im sure there are a zillion variants because it comes down to it being a form of beef stew and it's hard to think of a single culture that doesn't have some form of stew as a staple. Surprised I think the Belgians do a beef stew with beer but it's called Carbonnade. There is "American" Goulash with chopped meat. I do a nice baked beef stew with Merlot wine. Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:39 pm
Are you looking for ways to use cubed beef?
Or are you looking for more beef/potato stew recipes so you can try different flavors of the same dish?

lili

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 12:34 am
ra_mom wrote:
Are you looking for ways to use cubed beef?
Or are you looking for more beef/potato stew recipes so you can try different flavors of the same dish?

looking for ways to use cubed Beef.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:30 am
Amarante-- ID love your recipe. Ra_mom, I don't have a slow cooker, love spicy food, and love your recipes! Suggestions for cubed beef??

ally

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:34 am
For anyone looking for stews...
This is one of my favourites. You must make the gremolata to go on top. It takes it to a whole nother level.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/rec.....stew/

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:10 am
Since this thread is now more about dishes to make with "stewing beef", here goes.

I use this as a guide for your basic beef stew that everyone likes. I love parsnips in a stew so I will add those - and they make a good replacement for potatoes. I also really like fresh string beans in stew so I add them towards the end.

SandyM's Oven Baked Beef Stew

1 Tbsp. oil
2 lb. stew meat, cut in 1" cubes
1/3 c. flour or 1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. marjoram
12 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
10 oz. beef or vegetable broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cups cube peeled potatoes
1 cup sliced celery
4 medium carrots, sliced
3 small onions, quartered
1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium. Brown beef cubes in oil. Add flour, salt, garlic powder, marjoram and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, broth and wine; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Cover; bake for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring twice during baking.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:16 am
This is a Beef stew with more unusual flavors. If you like Chinese food, you will probably like it. It's somewhat sweet and so it's supposed to be served with horseradish mashed potatoes to act as a counterpoint. If you make parve mashed potatoes you can adapt the recipe fairly easily.

Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bon Appetit
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
1/2 cup hoisin sauce*
2 bay leaves
\1 pound slender carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot. Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions. Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.

Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.

Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

INGREDIENTS

2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered
3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish

PREPARATION

Cook potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Place in large microwave-safe bowl. Add 3 tablespoons oil. Mash until potatoes are smooth, adding remaining 1 tablespoon oil, if desired, and reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls to moisten to desired consistency. Mix in horseradish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Potatoes can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm potatoes in microwave before continuing.

Transfer potatoes to bowl and serve.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:19 am
Sephardic Beef Stew
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 lb. sirloin, trimmed and cut into (1 1/2-inch) cubes
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped carrot
1 cup whole pitted dates, halved
1/4 cup whole dried apricots, halved
1 large (8-ounce) baking potato, peeled and chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, salt, and peppers to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until onion is tender.

Combine cornstarch and beef, tossing well to coat. Add beef mixture to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Stir in white wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in the broth, water, ginger, and garlic; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and place in oven. Cook at 350° for 1 hour.

Stir in carrot, dates, apricots, and potato. Return to oven. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Stir well; cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until beef is tender.

Nutritional Information:

Amount per serving
Calories 350 Calories from fat 23 % Fat 8.9 g Sa tfat 3.4 g Monofat 4 g Polyfat 0.4 g Protein 20.2 g Carbohydrate 45.9 g Fiber 5.4 g Cholesterol 45 mg Iron 2.4 mg Sodium 472 mg Calcium 52 mg

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:20 am
Here's another variant with beer and barley

Beef, Beer, and Barley Stew

You can use barley groats rather than pearl barley in this stew to give the dish a little more texture. Substitute rutabagas, parsnips, or other root vegetables of your choice for the carrots and turnips.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound beef stew meat
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups coarsely chopped onion
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups (1 1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot
2 cups chopped peeled turnips (about 1 pound)
3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
2 (8-ounce) packages mushrooms, quartered
3 cups water
3 cups low-salt beef broth
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer (such as stout)
3 small beets
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish

Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add beef to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover; stir in tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high. Add carrot, turnips, barley, 4 garlic cloves, and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Add beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, water, broth, Worcestershire, and beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs.

While stew is simmering, trim beets, leaving root and 1 inch stem on each; scrub with a brush. Place in a medium saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain; cool. Leave root and 1 inch stem on each beet; rub off skins. Cut each beet into 6 wedges.

Combine parsley, thyme leaves, and 1 garlic clove. Ladle about 2 cups stew into each of 6 bowls. Top each serving with 3 beet wedges, about 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley mixture, and 1 teaspoon horseradish.

Yield: 6 servings

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:21 am
I've never made this stew - it's on my "to try" file.

Vegetable Beef Stew

3/4 lb lean beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tsp canola oil
1 can (14-1/2 oz) beef broth
1 can (14-1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes, cut up
1-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
6 dried apricots or peach halves, quartered
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbl cornstarch
1/4 cup water
2 tbl minced fresh parsley

In a nonstick skilled, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add the broth, tomatoes, squash, corn, apricots, carrots, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender.

Combine cornstarch and water until smooth, stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Stir in parsley.

Yield: 4 servings

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1-1/2 cups) 278 calories, 9 grams fat (3 gr saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 717 mg sodium, 32 g carb, 5 gr fiber, 21 gr protein.

Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:28 am
Orange Cumin Beef Stew

Serves 6

3 lbs chuck for stew, in one inch cubes
cooking oil
1/4 cup orange juice
grated rind of 1 orange
1/2 cup beef broth
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons gound cumin
1 tablespoon organo
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons allspoce
1 bay leaf
half of 16oz bag frozen pearl onions
1 lb small mushrooms
olive oil for sauteing
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the beef in foaming oil a few pieces at a time Transfer it to a large pot and add all other ingerdients excep the onions, mushrooms, butter and salt and pepper. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender. If the sauce is too thin, add 2 tablespoons of burre manie or cornstarch dissolved in water. Saute the onions and mushrooms briefly and add them to the stew. Simmer briefly again, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:30 am
ally wrote:
For anyone looking for stews...
This is one of my favourites. You must make the gremolata to go on top. It takes it to a whole nother level.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/rec.....stew/

This looks wonderful. I do love braises and stews with vegetables because I don't really like cooking at the end of the day and so I look for cook ahead recipes or recipes I can put up to cook when my energy level is higher. My preference is for "one pot" meals with maybe only some bagged salad necessary to round it out.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:36 am
Just one more - again, if you like Chinese/Asian flavors, you will probably enjoy this one.

Cinnamon-beef Noodles

Recipe By: Cooking Light

Summary:

In this classic version of red-cooking, the meat is simmered in a soy sauce-based mixture for a long time until tender. Seasonings such as ginger, garlic, and cinnamon provide extra flavor. This method can be used to cook a variety of meats, including pork, lamb, chicken, and duck.

Ingredients:

5 cups water
1 1/2 cups rice wine or sake
3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cinnamon sticks
1 piece (1-inch) peeled fresh ginger, thinly
sliced
1 package (10-ounce) fresh spinach, chopped
4 cups hot cooked wide lo mein noodles or
vermicelli (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)

Directions:

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Set aside.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add half of the beef, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and beef. Return beef to pan; add water mixture, onions, garlic, cinnamon, and ginger. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard ginger slices and cinnamon. Stir in spinach; cook 3 minutes or until wilted. Serve over noodles. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup beef mixture and 1/2 cup noodles).

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:04 am
lili wrote:
looking for ways to use cubed Beef.

Why not arrange the beef cubes in a pan on a bed of sliced onions, pour your favorite sauce combination on top, cover tightly and bake at 250 for about 3 hours? Serve over steamed rice or creamy mashed potatoes.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:08 am
I have made bbq beef sandwiches, beef stew, shredded beef tacos, chili, kabobs, shwarma the possibilities are endless.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics