Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do women that shave wear when swimming? serious
Previous  1  2

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 10:31 am
If you google modest swimwear, on on-Jewish sites, they sometimes have pretty hair things. It's a trend, not a tzniut thing, but I've seen it on some modest swimsuit sites.

Just FYI they are modest by general societal standards, not tzanua for us, but beautiful and not frumpy.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 12:30 pm
What is wrong with a regular swim cap, which are tight and make even those with hair look almost bald as they hold the hair so close. I wear one, you cannot tell I have shoulder length hair as it is all squashed so close in.

So if you're shaved, no difference anyway. Unless you don't like the look.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 2:25 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
What is wrong with a regular swim cap, which are tight and make even those with hair look almost bald as they hold the hair so close. I wear one, you cannot tell I have shoulder length hair as it is all squashed so close in.

So if you're shaved, no difference anyway. Unless you don't like the look.

when I was in high school we had a swimming teacher for a time who shaved her head. You could certainly tell. We all wore swimming caps but her head looked very different and it was obvious she shaved.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 3:25 pm
Modern silicone swimcaps designed for streamlined triathlon swimming are much tighter and trust me, you can't tell what a person has underneath. It is often a total shock when someone pulls it off to reveal a massive shock of hair, next to someone else with a boycut. No difference with a cap on.

They are freely available on amazon. As are the 1950s flowery style pictured above.

In any case, I think most people are more concerned about their own appearance at the pool than what others may be hiding under their headgear.

kenz

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:39 pm
I wear the short chenille snood with a lining and I'm not remotely chassidish, nor am I makbid on a double covering. It's exactly what you're talking about. My neighbors wear it too and they aren't all chassidish either. It's what's in and comfortable. I got it with the lining b/c as someone else said, the unlined becomes see-through very quickly.

imeinu

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:43 pm
I see lots of women wear regular prettied bandanas in the pool. I don't know if they have hair or shave ;-) It has the extra volume at the bottom so it doesn't show the shape of the head as much as a silicon or lycra swim cap. Also, you can tie the tails to make it tighter.

I do that but I also find that a good pair of goggles helps it stay on better.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:46 pm
I wear the regular thin Lycra bathing cap that the kids wear however in the chassidishe pool where I swim some wear regular bandanas some wear the swim bandana it's made from more of a bathing suit material and some wear a swim turban it looks similar to a turban has bunched up fabric but it's made for swimming I believe out of swimming material. Never ever saw someone wearing a snood of any kind, chenille? Really? Wear whatever you like I like the plain typical speedo like caps.

Good Luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:10 pm
If you're worried about the fabric slipping back, wear a wig grip or silicone band underneath, around your "hairline". It will keep the snood or pre-tied in place even if you dive underwater.

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you're worried about the fabric slipping back, wear a wig grip or silicone band underneath, around your "hairline". It will keep the snood or pre-tied in place even if you dive underwater.

The swim bandannas have a built in grip and they they also don't cling to the head when wet.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:33 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Either way, I agree with Maya- it seems very inconvenient to swim in since it will get soggy and heavy and likely to fall off. A waterproof bandana sounds better (or maybe one of those cool retro swim caps!)

Plus, it seems it might shed those fuzzy fibers into the pool. Yuck.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette