Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has anyone kicked out a tenent? NYC

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 1:22 pm
Anyone have experience getting a tenent who stopped paying rent out of your rental apartment?

abby1776

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 1:46 pm
You need a lawyer. I had a tenant that I evicted for non-payment of rent in Rockland county and it was a long complicated process. I believe in NYC - the laws are even more favorable towards tenants.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 11:08 am
The rules to get things moving in court look pretty straight forward online. We verbally informed the tenant and then served papers. Any reason why a lawyer would need to be involved at this point?

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 11:59 am
I have no experience with this, but from what I understand, NYC tenant courts are extremely biased toward the tenant. So if your tenant is planning to play games and make life difficult for you, a lawyer could inform you of what you need to do to expedite the process as much as possible, what to expect realistically, potential pitfalls to avoid, etc. If your tenant will be straight and honest, this may not be necessary, but there are many horror stories of the court system protecting delinquent tenants at the homeowner's expense.

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 12:15 pm
Is the tenant receiving public assistance and have young children? If so, both you and the tenant can get financial assistance correct the situation (ie you can get back pay and the tenant can get monthly assistance with the rent).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics