Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Skipping the 3 year old nursery program

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:34 am
I have a 2.5 year old and I'm not too sure what to do.

I'm wondering if he should stay another year at home with me and a baby, or should I send him in September to the 3 year old nursery school. He hasn't been potty trained yet (not ready yet, will try in the summer) and he doesn't seem excited from the idea of going to a school.

So my question is... if I keep him for another year, will I be able to send him a year after to the 4 year old program in schools in NYC? or will he have to go through the 3 year old program first? I just don't want to keep him another year in the house, unless I know that afterwards he can go to the 4 year old program.

MamaBear

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:39 am
Of course they wouldn't hold him back. But if he's really bored and no longer napping by the fall and you change your mind, you may have lost a spot.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:56 am
I kept my three year old home. best decision ever. I realized after two kids in nursery school that they really don't gain anything there. I'm so happy I kept my youngest home. she's starting kindergarten next school year, and I'm kind of sad to be sending her. if you can keep your kid home and stay sane, it's a wonderful opportunity to build a special relationship.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 10:01 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I kept my three year old home. best decision ever. I realized after two kids in nursery school that they really don't gain anything there. I'm so happy I kept my youngest home. she's starting kindergarten next school year, and I'm kind of sad to be sending her. if you can keep your kid home and stay sane, it's a wonderful opportunity to build a special relationship.

OP here

What if the child isn't too social?
well, my 2.5 year old hasn't really been with a group of kids and I think if I keep him at home, I'll have to find some playdates for him so he'll be a bit ready for school with kids. I think he can be social, but he's not used to being with other kids yet.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
OP here

What if the child isn't too social?
well, my 2.5 year old hasn't really been with a group of kids and I think if I keep him at home, I'll have to find some playdates for him so he'll be a bit ready for school with kids. I think he can be social, but he's not used to being with other kids yet.

he really can learn to socialize once he's in school. it doesn't hurt to have playdates before, but there is nothing wrong with letting him wait. at 2.5, they don't usually play together anyway. they just play next to each other. my daughter happens to be incredibly friendly, so I'm not worried about her. my other kids are more shy, and they went to nursery. there is no reason to prepare him for school beyond toilet training. of course, you can teach the alphabet and numbers etc at home if you want.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 1:26 pm
I know this is an old thread but I'm considering doing the same and was wondering if anyone else who's done it has any feedback?

Finances aren't a factor in this decision. I'm a SAHM and think it might be a good idea. Otherwise we would send half day which I have a feeling will probably be what we end up with. There is a real concern that she won't get in to the school we want if we don't send her for 3 year olds but the school said they would contact me before they fill up for next year. I already have a child at that school. There are no a few days a week frum, options were I live. She is currently home with me now and I've started taking her to story time. She can self entertain, we like playing outside together...

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:12 pm
Was actually thinking of doing the same.my youngest is almost a year.I dont want to have another child after her and so would like to make the most of these years with her. Planning to go to parks with her, library, maybe get a zoo membership etc...

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:19 pm
I did this with my last two when my work schedule changed, and planning on it again with my little one. I really loved the extra bonding time and your kid can learn all the socialization she needs when she starts at age 4 Smile in fact, one kid I kept home until pre 1a and she did just fine. We went to libraries, parks, did projects, it was so nice!

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:20 pm
cerise- so I'm actually not concerned about the socialization aspect. Did your kids get bored? did you feel like you never got a break? what did you do when you had a doctors appointment? right now my LO is pretty much goes where ever I go during the day, I have no family or babysitter locally. We moved here last year. My husband was working from home for awhile but not anymore. b"H so far I've managed on my own but it always makes me a little nervous. Our families live near our old location so I used to have them as backup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers