Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Attorney salary in Israel?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 3:38 pm
My DH has, for years, really wanted to make Aliyah. We lived in EY for a year many years ago, before careers and kids. My biggest concern is how we would support ourselves.

Are any of you (or your DH) an American attorney who has made aliyah? What are the options for work there? What are salaries like? Did you learn Hebrew well enough to practice Israeli law and be an attorney there? Or do you mostly do IP and tech related stuff in English for American companies (I have heard of people doing this)?

Thank you!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 3:42 pm
There could be companies in need of someone knowledgeable in American law. They may have branches, or other legal ties.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 3:45 pm
My understanding is that in order to be licensed to practice israeli law you have to do a "stage" or an internship - which is maybe 2 years for very little pay. So even if your husband's hebrew is amazing and he passes the bar, he still would work for very little for the first few years you are in Israel.

Probably, he would be better off working for a US company in Israel for a US salary.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 4:20 pm
OP here. Thanks for the replies so far.

To clarify - I'm the attorney, not DH.

I am interested in both paths: practicing American law and/or becoming member of Israeli bar.

Wondering if it's feasible to have an entire career in EY just practicing American law with American companies, or companies that need American counsel.

Any ideas on salaries?

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:04 pm
I know a couple of US attorneys living in Israel practicing US law - but they do IP - trademarks/patents. They work for themselves and have clients, so I am guessing they get paid hourly or by the project. I don't know any US attorneys who work remotely for US firms or companies in Israel. The few US attorneys I know that took the bar in Israel said it was a difficult process, the older you are, the less hebrew you know, the harder it is - but it is doable. You just have to really want it and work hard at it.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:05 pm
Also, I am always seeing ads for US outsourcing attorneys in Israel. But I do not think those jobs pay very well. Like $20 an hour.

samantha87

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:26 pm
Does your law school have an alumni directory you could search for Israeli addresses? I know the "big firms" like Yigal Arnon and Herzog Fox have some Americans working for them.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:36 pm
You could looks at firms that have offices in US and Israel and then try and get a job in the US location and then ask to transfer to Israel. Pearl Cohen Tzedek I think has a NY office. Greenberg Traurig is a big US law firm with offices all over the US and they also have an office in Tel Aviv.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:39 pm
Found this link that could give you a lot of information you are looking for - http://www.israemploy.net/Lawyers/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions