Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Stir fry vegetables in the oven?

sped

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:43 pm
I need to make a pretty large amount for a Friday night simcha. I would like to bake the vegetables separately and mix them afterwards. How do I do this? Any suggestions for a sauce to make it with? Thanks

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:47 pm
Baking and stir frying are completely different techniques and yield different results.

Why not just roast the veggies in the oven and serve.

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are trying to accomplish. Stir frying is sautéing vegetables at a very high heat for a short period of time that produces the typical almost al dente texture of good Chinese food.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:47 pm
What veggies are you using for this oven baked stir fry? And are they fresh or frozen?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:56 pm
something like this maybe?

I made it last night and it was delicious

ETA link: http://www.chabad.org/blogs/bl.....s.htm

Last edited by oliveoil on Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

sped

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:57 pm
Someone suggested it without details. They are all fresh. Should I forget it and stir fry it? I was hoping to save time for other things.

sped

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:57 pm
oliveoil wrote:
something like this maybe?

I made it last night and it was delicious

Like what?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:00 pm
I would definitely do it in the oven and make a faux stir fry. Toss the veggies with sauce when done.
Tell us what vegetables you have and we'll help with oven temp and timing. Should be done on cookie sheets.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:01 pm
You can make delicious veggies baked in the oven. What kind of veggies and what are you trying to,achieve. Did you want a Chinese type of flavor. I roast string beans with some Asian spices and sauces and they are delicious. If you let us know what the veggies are, we can be more helpful

sped

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:09 pm
I have onion, carrot, peppers, squash, some mushrooms and bean sprouts. I can add some frozen green beans too.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:12 pm
These would all need to bake at different temperatures for the best result. You wouldn't bake bean sprouts at all because they are generally added last in a stir fry anyway. By squash, do you mean summer squash or winter squash? The frozen beans would also cook much more quickly than the onions and mushrooms. Carrots also need more time to cook.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Levtov

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:14 pm
I would add some red peppers stips and/or other colors . Sprinkle with salt and basil and toss with some oil. Bake on 400 for about 30 minutes....delicious, beautiful and simple

sped

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:20 pm
I was planning on baking them separately. I think I will just stick with frying on the stove.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 11:57 pm
sped wrote:
I was planning on baking them separately. I think I will just stick with frying on the stove.

Arrange each cut up vegetable (besides the sprouts) on separate cookie sheets. (I would actually do the onions and peppers together.) Toss with oil. Most of the veggies need just 20 minutes at 400. The zucchini will need less time.
Drain an liquids before mixing the vegetables together and tossing with sauce and topping with sprouts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes