Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
School scrip usage question--getting change

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:22 am
My children's school requires parents to purchase a quantity of gift cards or school scrip. (They buy the gift cards and scrip at a discount and sell them at face value). Merchants in my area accept the school scrip, despite the discounted value, to support the school and attract more customers. Like many other shoppers, I use school scrip whenever I can.

The other day I was purchasing a (non-taxable) $11 item at a local store that accepted scrip. I only had $10 in school scrip, so I gave the cashier that and a regular $5 bill. He handed me $4 in school scrip. I was surprised, because usually I only get change in scrip up to the amount I gave in scrip (so if I pay $10 in scrip for a $9 item, I get $1 change in scrip). So I told him, "I paid $5 in cash so I'd prefer my change in cash". He rolled his eyes at me and gave me 4 singles, and a very sarcastic, "Thank you".

Was I wrong to ask for my change in cash rather than scrip?

Anon because I've discussed this with people I know.

water_bear88

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 10:43 am
You weren't wrong at all- that seems very rude of him. You weren't asking for cash change from scrip, you were asking for it from cash you'd handed him.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:32 am
It can easily be viewed from the other perspective. You paid five dollars in cash and then six dollars script. Since you gave him $10 in script money you were entitled to four dollars change for the script money you had given him.

From his perspective, he was losing some money by giving you actual cash change.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
It can easily be viewed from the other perspective. You paid five dollars in cash and then six dollars script. Since you gave him $10 in script money you were entitled to four dollars change for the script money you had given him.

From his perspective, he was losing some money by giving you actual cash change.

How does he lose money by taking scrip? (I just don't understand the concept fully)

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:11 pm
I am not taking a position but pointing out that you can view the transaction as the woman paying $5 cash and excess in script and so change in script.

The scrip is only worth x% of cash face value.

It is not a black and white issue.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:24 pm
I understood op to have said it was gift cards that are already purchased. In which case, I think the change should be for the cash.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:34 pm
Perhaps I am not understanding but there is a discount and presumably the store is covering the discounted amount because someone is paying for it. I assume not every store accepts the script as they aren't like a VISA card.

Again maybe I am not understanding the economics but I am assuming it is the stores that are actually paying for the discount because otherwise the school wouldn't be making money. It's promotional for the store but still not the same vale to the store as cash.

Just pointing out that there are two ways to view the economics of tje transaction.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 1:01 pm
Hey, I'm not arguing with you. I understand there are two sides to this story. But if the store keeper didn't want to take that loss, he shouldn't be on the scrip program. And if he is, then he shouldn't give op attitude for using scrip money to pay.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 1:04 pm
I thought the issue was how to calculate change - was it change from $5 cash or was it change from $10 script.

The store keeper saw it as change from the script which is valid and the OP saw it as change from the $5 cash which is also valid.

I am just saying it's not black or white but depends on one's perspective.

ETA - I am assuming the store keeper has to go through some kind of administrative process to redeem the script so that is also more of a hassle since he has to wait for the money. The OP just has to remember to use the script in her next shopping trip. I am assuming that the script is something that is easily used in a number of stores?

Again, I am not saying either is wrong or right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette