Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear piercing frustration!

wantavaca

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 12:41 pm
My dd is eight. she had her ears pierced a few years ago but her holes got stretched out so I had to let them close and pierce again in a different spot.
I did it again and they got stretched again.
I guess the only thing for me to do is have them close up again?
I feel bad that she shouldn't be able to wear earrings.
the same thing I see is happening to my four yr old.
its getting annoying and frustrating!
does anyone here have experience with this and know if the ear lobes might get stronger with age?
is there a chance that it might work for them when they get older??

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 1:01 pm
How are they getting stretched? Are they wearing really heavy earrings, or pulling on the ear lobes a lot? Either way, they need to stop it right now!

I would switch to very lightweight hoops, and never change them out for at least a year. That should help a lot. Google "sleeper hoops" and you'll see what I mean.

Remember that every time you let a hole close and then re-pierce it, you're creating more and more scar tissue in the ear lobes. Each new piercing will be more painful than the last, and it will be harder to heal because of decreased blood flow to the area.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 2:01 pm
Why do they need to close?
I had to let mine close because of constant infections. Use FF's suggestion.

wantavaca

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:39 am
Iymnok wrote:
Why do they need to close?
I had to let mine close because of constant infections. Use FF's suggestion.

Because the hole is all stretched out and it could tear all the way if I leave it.
My dh told me that he was taking off dds wet shirt and it pulled in her earring;(

Anyone had this issue??

It's really distressing me, I hate to have to pierce my dds ears for the third time! And who even know if it'll last....

FF- why are hoops better than the tiny earrings they get when they get pierced?

Also, one ear is fine. Should I leave that one? Then she'll have ou one earring in.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:13 am
What earrings do you use that would stretch them like that? If they can get caught, or have weight I'd avoid them until she's much older.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9ct-Go.....29f88

wantavaca

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:04 am
The lady who pierced their ears said no hoops!
She said reg earrings w post in back.

We kept the tiny studs in for a few months to a year like she advised, but then they got gifts from grandparents.... Nothing heavy but still I think it prob wouldn't have happened if we would've just left in those studs.

spring13

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:32 am
Call or visit a professional piercing parlor (yes, the kind that does tattoos and pierces weird places). The people working in those parlors have extensive training and might be able to explain what's happening and how to deal with it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:24 pm
Hoops are smooth and round, with no edges to catch on anything. They also weigh practically nothing. This brand is the BEST ever. I've personally know the owners for almost 30 years.
http://www.bodycircle.com/inde......html

Get the smallest size hoop you can (18g), and get a piercing shop to help you put them in (the bead is tricky). Don't take them out until everything is completely healed up. The piercing shop can also advise you with the stretching issue.

I avoid places that pierce with guns at all costs. If their not using a surgical grade needle and using hoops, then they are doing more harm than good, IMHO.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:09 pm
My kids have sensitive ears that close up over earrings or get infected or they fall out or they bother them and the only earrings that work for them are the studs put it at time of piercing or very small lightweight huggies. When huggies were first suggested for my dd years ago I too was take aback because my mom never let us have hoop or hanging earrings until we were older due to fear of stretching, but seriously, the small lightweight huggies are the best and regular studs are just terrible for my girls.

zaq

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 11:56 pm
Why does an eight-year old "need" earrings? She won't be dating for at least eight to ten years. Why don't you leave the poor child alone for a few ears, I mean years, and let her try again (if she cares to) when she's older and good and ready (and her earlobes are somewhat bigger)? She won't feel deprived without earrings unless YOU make her feel that way.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 12:28 am
zaq wrote:
Why does an eight-year old "need" earrings? She won't be dating for at least eight to ten years. Why don't you leave the poor child alone for a few ears, I mean years, and let her try again (if she cares to) when she's older and good and ready (and her earlobes are somewhat bigger)? She won't feel deprived without earrings unless YOU make her feel that way.

What do earring have to do with dating? Lots of little girls want to wear earrings I their own accord.

I would talk to their pediatrician to figure out why his is happening and to make sure they are healing properly. It might be, though, they they need to wait until they are older to have earrings.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 12:52 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
What do earring have to do with dating?

Rolling Eyes
Sarcasm goes right over your head, doesn't it?

The Happy Wife wrote:
Lots of little girls want to wear earrings I their own accord.

Lots of little girls also want to wear high heels and makeup, or eat nothing but ice cream for dinner every night; that doesn't mean they should. If earrings are causing such problems, the child should not be wearing them no matter how dearly she wants to. In any case, OP did not say her dd is upset that she cannot wear earrings--she said SHE feels bad for dd unable to wear them. A little girl should not be made to suffer to satisfy her mother's misplaced, projected feelings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics