Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Moves Oddly: Starting to Worry
Previous  1  2

imaima

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:17 am
srbmom wrote:
Sadly I think our culture has bred this "need" for our children to have some type of therapy.

My DS did not crawl until he was 12 months and did not walk until he was 15 months. I cannot tell you how many times people told me to take him for PT. My dr. wasn't nervous and maybe I was "naive" - but I wasn't nervous either. B"H he is now an active and athletic 8 yr old.

What you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me. Not every kid has to be exactly up to what other kids are doing. If you and the doc don't see anything alarming you - I would wait it out. Let her develop at her own speed

Human body as not created with the idea in mind that they will be transported in carseats and strollers, where none of their muscles have to work. traditionally, children either play on the floor or are being carried, which provides more muscle stimulation than being wheeled around.

Thus, in such unnatural circumstances, it is advisable to make extra effort to develop your child'e motor skills

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
As a little baby, her legs were super strong. (She loved kicking them.) I could stand her up then! (but tried not to do this too much b/c not good for her). When I did this recently, IIRC, she buckled down. I keep doing it and she seems to be getting stronger.

Standing up a baby is good and ability to do it is a milestone. When my baby wouldn't put his feet on the surface and "stand up" (while being held of course) was when I was sent to PT.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:14 am
Pt here. Don't force the standing for "strengthening" it's not good developmentally until the child is ready. If they are buckling don't force it.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
Pt here. Don't force the standing for "strengthening" it's not good developmentally until the child is ready. If they are buckling don't force it.

PT, if I stand her up and put her hands on a surface, she can hold herself up for a short amount of time. She doesn't buckle immediately. Is that also bad for her?

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:26 am
Every baby is different. As long as they are moving around and not just sitting in one place it's ok, they'll get there.

DD1 crawled at 11 months and walked at 12 months.
DD2 crawled at 6 months and walked at 18 months.

See, that's a huge difference.

Sanguine

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:06 am
gp2.0 wrote:
DD1 crawled at 11 months and walked at 12 months.
DD2 crawled at 6 months and walked at 18 months.

Amazing. Those are exactly my kids (except it was DS1). The other kids I didn't pay attention to those "milestones" cause I was busy running after DS1 and DD1. I hate to say It all works out, but my other kids are HS and Post HS already and I'm not carrying any of them.

(But I still think you should go for the PT evaluation)

Mimisinger

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:26 am
I think that as a mommy, you have intuition. If you think your baby moves weird, get it checked out. It can't hurt.

I can tell you that I had a child who never crawled, he didn't even sit up for a long time. But he was heavy, had a big head and was low tone. B"H he's fine. Still no great athlete, but he also had years of pt.

I had another kid who only crawled backwards, but he's very athletic and moves fluidly.

I have a couple of other kids who were in the normal range.

Basically, you have a gut for a reason. Use it. ANd, if it's nothing, it's nothing. It will take one meeting to test your child. If all is good, fine. If all is not good, the earlier the better.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 6:39 am
Update: DH wasn't thrilled about taking baby to PT and b"H baby finally started to crawl not that long after this thread at almost 11 mos. (on the English calendar) At the same time as she started to crawl, she grew very interested in pulling herself up to a stand.

Her crawl is strange. She does her hands normally (one after the other) and she goes on one knee, but the other leg she keeps in a standing position (her foot on the floor and not her knee). It's always the same legs that she stands on vs. bending. She gets around, but she's still rather slow.

At first I thought that this was b/c she is very interested in walking (especially given her age). But, I sent out a video to my relatives and one relative insightfully reminded me that in our family, we've had problems with legs turning out. I'm now remembering pictures of myself as a baby w/ a cast on my leg b/c my leg turned out. (FTR, my mother said I crawled just like my baby!) I need to ask my mother more if she can remember pertinent details from that far back!

I was talking to a friend who has a son that has benefited from a lot of PT and she recommended someone private who is very experienced for me to take my baby so this therapist can watch baby crawl and LMK if she thinks it's a problem.

I'm curious if any other mothers have had babies crawl like this and if it ended being a problem.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 6:42 am
I think you should disregard whether it "ended up being a problem" and get your baby the help he needs and stop overthinking it.

- A therapist

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
I think you should disregard whether it "ended up being a problem" and get your baby the help he needs and stop overthinking it.

- A therapist

I am going to do my best to get her the best opinion/help. I am just curious if a crawl like that is considered normal or not. Not that the answer will change the fact that I am seeking help.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics