Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Packing up Wool Sweaters

luppamom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 6:26 am
Last yr., I packed up my sweaters in a box and when I opened the box in the winter, the sweaters were full of holes! They were expensive good quality sweaters and I was obviously upset. I kept them b/c I can still wear them for warmth in the house, but now I want to pack them up again, but I don't want more holes.

Any tips? I don't want to use anything very smelly or poisonous.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by luppamom on Sun, Jun 14 2015, 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 6:34 am
I store sweaters in those space bags, where you can evacuate the air. I also put in cedar wood balls that are infused with cedar oil to repel moths. Even before I was using space bags I used the cedar wood balls to keep moths at bay.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:43 am
Use any solo or combo of the following dried herbs and spices: lavender buds, eucalyptus leaves, cloves, cedar chips, rosemary, lemongrass , cinnamon, mint. Depending on how much work you are willing to do, put a few spoonsful in tea strainers, make little sachet bags from fabric, use those gauzy drawstring bags with which people make candy packs to throw at simchas, or just tie them up in old nylons. You can even just put the herbs into a small paper sack. A few bars of Yardley Old English lavender soap will work well, too. I cannot speak for any other brand of "lavender" soap as not all contain actual lavender essential oil.

if sachets sound too messy, just buy some essential oil of the herb of your choice, pour a few drops onto a cotton ball, and put the cotton into a tea ball. be careful here: you don't want the oil to touch the clothing itself as it may stain.
If the fabric is a very light color and prone to staining, slip the sachet, soap or tea ball into an old white cotton sock. I've never had a garment stain from contact with sachet but you never know. Once the soap loses its fragrance, demote it to the bathroom and put new bars in with the sweaters. Google "herbal moth repellent" for more ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics