Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
8 yr old lying - caught for the second time

LO

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:06 pm
My 8 yr old daughter admitted to me that she lies about brushing her teeth at night. I had asked her if she brushed and she said yes, for quite a few days until I guess her conscience got the best of her.

A few weeks ago, the same thing happened with taking her vitamin. She admitted to me that she had been lying to me when she told me that she was taking her vitamins.

At the time, I told her there won't be a consequence because she confessed, but I do not want it to become a pattern. How do I handle this? She did confess but doesn't seem overly remorseful. How do I show her this is serious without teaching her that next time it's not worth it to confess?

Thanks in advance!

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:11 pm
Not sure what you should do as a punishment but I think a first good step would be explaining to her why brushing teeth and taking vitamins is so important. She's old enough to understand. Make her WANT to do it!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:13 pm
I don't know what to tell you...as my dd has a hard time saying an honest word outa her mouth. I never know if her stories are true or not...
But what came to mind was that if you suspect she did not brush then do NOT ask. I once heard that you are teaching lying to your kid when you ask them a question you know they didn't do. Ex. "Did you flush the toilet" rather say-"I didn't hear the flush".
I don't think there is any way to teach not lying. It's just acting honest in every way and our kids pick up on it. I would just tell DD that I will not ask her anymore. She doesn't have to do it for me. But she should do it for HER!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 6:22 pm
Kids lie, your child has a conscience, that's a good thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children