Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Scaly foundation help before wedding!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:12 am
I have a fancy wedding coming up and I need help w my foundation. I have oily skin - esp in the T zone, so I exfoliate and use moisturizer then primer. No matter what kind of foundation I use ( liquid, stick , gel) my foundation on my nose and chin looks scaly. I tried w/o primer; with primer no moisturizer; no moisturizer, no primer etc. But it still happens. Help!

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:52 am
Are you using medication on your skin?

Also, have you tried cream foundation on those areas?

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:02 am
Sometimes a topical cream for acne but it was like this before.
I once tried a cream but found it too thick

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:19 pm
any help?

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:21 pm
You might want to get to the root of what's aggravating your skin.
If this wedding is very soon and you don't have a chance to "fix" your skin first, you might want to try a cream foundation again. Maybe try a different brand.

Oily skin that flakes is skin that's not doing well.
When you put on topical acne medication, do you moisturize your skin first?

perquacky

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:34 pm
Not sure where you are or how much you're willing to spend, but try going to a store like Sephora or to a makeup counter at a department store and ask for advice.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 2:34 pm
If the wedding isn't for two weeks, you might give yourself three days with doing absolutely nothing at all.

You may be overdoing it.

Just a once a day, before bed, wash your face with a little cold water and an ordinary mild soap that you shower with. Briefly. A quick rinse.

Then air dry, no towel, nothing at all after it. COLD water. Not ice cold, just normal cold.

The rest of the whole 24 hours, do nothing at all to your face. Do not even touch it.

You don't say how old you are.

Scaling might be from over-exfoliating!!

As for makeup, you might try Dermablend. It can be ordered online.

With a completely bare face, and sunglasses, get a little sun on your face. Not tons. A little.

Take your one-a-day vitamin, without fail, at the same time every day, right after eating.

At the wedding, or in general, if you make up your eyes well, and your hair is great, you might go with a bare face, or just a little cover-stick around the eyes and nostrils, nothing general.

Nobody cares. They are looking at your hair, figure, eyes, nails, and jewelry. And shoes.

Spend money and don't worry about it.

Hugs.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:43 pm
The chassunah is this week so no time for major fixes. No money to try a diff foundation. I either have hAve maybelline fit liquid or their stick; or a bit of old chantecaille gel foundation ...
It's most likely bec my house doesn't have very good water- when I was on vacation I had no such issues.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:52 pm
Sorry I tried to add this but my phone messed up:
I just glanced in the mirror and I see that now that my makeup melted and got oily, the scaliness is less noticeable... But my makeup and face look oily.
So I'm stumped how not to look scaly nor oily

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:29 pm
Use only bottled water on your face. Cool or cold.

You are using moist foundations. Try a dry one. Like a cake.

Do not aim for so much coverage.

Maybe just a powdering, repeated once during the evening in the ladies' room.

You can't solve oiliness with exfoliating. The oil glands are deeper than you can reach. Cold water curbs oiliness: no warm or hot water on the face, ever. Some people leave their faces out of the water of a hot shower and wash their faces in cold water in the sink after the shower. It's that important.

Try for a Maybelline powder before the wedding.

If you have spots, use a Maybelline cover stick. They are terrific.

Stop exfoliating right away, I would say.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:59 pm
Sounds like there could be an underlying issue with your skin. It might be a yeast-type thing which is treated with ketoconazole or psoriasis which would need a cortisone cream. It's probably not your foundation based on the description you're giving.

spring13

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 7:15 pm
I'm no expert, but I agree with Dolly - you might want to try doing less, not more. Don't overtreat your skin, just wash it with something mild (Cetaphil?) and use moisturizer at night. Try to go lighter on the makeup or skip it completely for a few days to let your skin breathe.

Also, consider using tinted moisturizer rather than foundation. It will even out your skin tone without making it look like you've got a layer of paint on. Then focus on making your eyes and lips look nice, to draw attention away from problem spots.

One other option - try a setting spray for afterwards, I hear they really make a difference.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 7:29 pm
do you cleanse day and night and moisturize afterward? even oily skin needs moisture and it sounds like your nose and chin are dry. if yes, I would rethink which products you are using because they could be irritating your skin. finally, drink tons of water because that helps clear the skin.

you might also considering mixing some moisturizer with with the foundation before applying. and when using your moisturizer and primer, make sure each layer dries before applying the next.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:47 pm
Thanks for all the ideas! Yes I do use moisturizer. How long does each layer need to dry for?

nicole81

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:04 am
studying_torah wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas! Yes I do use moisturizer. How long does each layer need to dry for?

I'd say whenever you put anything on top of moisturizer, give it a good 10 min to sink in. Primer maybe 2 minutes to dry. I also wanted to let you know that I had dry patches on my chin which looked cakey under foundation when I was using a product that irritated me. I didn't even realize how much unnecessary garbage I wasn't putting my face through until I found a regimen that worked for me and totally transformed my skin. If you have time and live near a sephora, perhaps take a trip and get some samples of products and see if they work better for you before the big day!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics