Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Flies everywhere- suggestions please

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 2:46 pm
Wasn't sure if I should put this under household management or mental health cuz right now I am going a little bonkers. We are staining our front wooden doors today( by we I mean workers we paid) The doors have to stay opened to dry. They put up plastic around the entranceway, but it keeps falling down and there are flies everywhere, plus I am stuck in the house cuz I don't want to leave my house with the doors wide opened. They have to come back tomorrow to do a second coat. Any suggestions on how to block the doorway. There is a beautiful breeze outside- if that wasn't going on then the plastic would stay up.
Ideas?????

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 3:32 pm
I have bug problems in general in the spring. An open door might be a worse problem bu what worked for me was diffusing a LOT of an essential oil blend called Purification for about an hour or two in each room. It doesn't smell terrible to humans (though not my favorite scent) but the bugs must really hate it because they disappeared and didn't start to trickle back for about a week after I did this. The only thing it didn't do much for was when I had a fruit fly attack last year. I guess fruit flies don't hate it as much as the other flies, moths, and mosquitoes.

chatz

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 4:55 pm
You can try closing the lights, as flies will usually travel to the light.

If there is something specific attracting them, either get rid of it or spray it with raid or combat

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 6:58 pm
What about temporarily attaching that screen curtain type door that is secured to a frame with velcro and the middle is held closed with magnets so you can go in and out?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:04 pm
A simple solution is to put some sugar in a bowl of soapy water under a light when you aren't in the room or at night after you go to bed.

Or you can make one of these from a soda bottle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf377HNgFtY
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics