Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Looking for Day Camp that will Wipe 5yo DS in Brooklyn

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 5:12 pm
Does anyone know of a day camp in Brooklyn, that has space, for a boy going into pre1a, that will wipe him after he has a bowel movement?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 5:42 pm
[removed]

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
Removed

Thank you!! I don't know what the difficulty is in calling a bowel movement a bowel movement, or a BM. And at what age does one teach a child the appropriate words for this bodily function? When they get The Talk at 14?

kb

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 6:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Thank you!! I don't know what the difficulty is in calling a bowel movement a bowel movement, or a BM. And at what age does one teach a child the appropriate words for this bodily function? When they get The Talk at 14?

I will be teaching my children "appropriate words" when he is mature enough to know where it is and isn't socially appropriate to talk about.

OP, I don't have any recommendations, but why don't you teach your 5 year old to wipe himself??

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 6:20 pm
op, I'm going to wish you lots of luck on this one. having been that teenage camp counselor, we accompanied the boys to the bathroom if it was down the hall, but they were on their own when it came to hygiene. I highly doubt you will find a place that wipes unless you sign him up for a licensed day care center as opposed to a day camp.

mfb

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 6:43 pm
I think its time to teach him how to do it himself!!! He's five already, and I'm presuming he's going to a rebbi next year. Are you going to expect his rebbe to do it next year?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:00 pm
He calls it a BM, but some adults are not familiar with the term "bowel movement". I wrote "makes" so that people would be more likely to understand.

There is a reason why it is difficult for him to wipe himself.

Please don't pour salt on my (and his) wounds, which are literally there.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
He calls it a BM, but some adults are not familiar with the term "bowel movement". I wrote "makes" so that people would be more likely to understand.

There is a reason why it is difficult for him to wipe himself.

Please don't pour salt on my (and his) wounds, which are literally there.

op, I sympathize. it's hard for some 5 yr olds to wipe properly for various reasons. even so, you're not going to find a wiping day camp. Sad

kb

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:08 pm
I'm sorry - did not mean to hurt you in any way.

I don't know if this is an option or not, but maybe if you call a daycamp and find out if there will be a child there with a shadow of some sort, and offer to pay the shadow a bit of money to be on call to wipe him when needed? (Or even if you can arrange to pay the counselor a bit extra for that extra attention?)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:08 pm
Can you teach him how to use flushable wet wipes? He can carry them in a ziplock bag in his pocket.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 7:10 pm
Maybe if you send to a "morah" day camp. IN Lakewood we have women who have 4 year schools that continue through the summer (don't know if it exists in NY). I could see them being more accommodating and starting there.

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 8:54 pm
only special ed

flmommy

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 10:26 pm
I don't know of any specific camp because I am OOT but I don't think its such a far fetched request especially if the child has some problem that makes it difficult. Only in pre-k mid year did the Morahs stop helping most kids with this task so it's not that far off. If they say "no" would it be possible to put him in a bunk an age younger where it is expected that kids will need help?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 1:30 pm
Maybe I'm crazy, but why is it so horrible for an adult to still wipe a five year old? It's not like he's 10. He still needs help, he's still little. A person at day camp can't take a few minutes to wipe him? It's like maybe a once a day thing. I don't know, but op, if I was making a day camp for your sons age I would gladly take him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers